Hair algae finally defeated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikebaker

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have finally gotten the best of a 4 month outbreak of hair algae with a three day dosing of excel at a 1.5x overdose, there is not a sign of it anywhere in my tank, not on plants, glass, substrate, driftwood, anything. :D

Congratulations! Algea is a real pain in a planted tank. Nice to hear when someone beats it.

my tank is a 77 and I used about half of a 250ml bottle all together. I used a pipette and spot treated all the really bad areas, and the rest of it all died off as well.

Oh that pipette was a really good idea. I never tried using this on my hair algae...I may have to try it :)

Excel, I believe is a plant "conditioner" in liquid form

Flourish Excel is a liquid product you can use in a planted tank to provide carbon for your plants. Good to use if you have low light or just don't want to get into CO2 injection. It is made by Seachem. It has an algicide in it as well so can be very helpful in getting rid of algea.

GlenC,

Thanks or answering that question (the algecide part). I always had heard about using Excel in some circumstances to get rid of algae, but never knew exactly why. This might be the perfect thing to have around as a just in case...

What was that list again of the plants that will die if Excel is used? I thought anacharis was one of them, but can't remember the others (there were at least 3 if I remember correctly).

justin

Back
Top Bottom