Hardest Part of the Hobby: Stocking. Please help me.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martinc9090

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
55g long tank

pic
http://aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=94273

and I currently have an

about 4 inch angelfish

2 of the yellow barbs. the bigger one chases the smaller one around alot

2 platys one is being picked on pretty bad. he don't have a tail anymore and is not eating anymore. but the other one is perfect.

any suggestions of what I should do. I would really like to keep it a peaceful tank.

both angels and barbs are semi aggressive, so your peaceful tank idea is a little shot at this point. firstly, i would definitely add more barbs - make a group of 6. also add more platies if you like those. a bristlenose would do nicely in keeping you algae free. i personally would add a small group of loaches, like yoyos, for the bottom strata - lots of fun. and maybe a school of a feisty tetra like serpaes.

Just came back from the lfs and this is what I got

1- Gold Gourami
1- Blue Gourami
3- Swordtails (2f 1m)
1- platy

and I also already had one of those suckerfish. and a bunch of ghost shrimp.

okay I will keep an eye on the parameters.

should I get atleast 3 or 5 more barbs.

would reducing the temperature reduce the aggresiveness.

what would be the minimum that I should have the light on

thanks again for the help

i have never heard of temperature affecting aggressiveness. barbs will be nippy if they are not in a big enough group, so i would suggest that AFTER your tank is stable after adding these fish (at least 2 or 3 weeks) get some more barbs.

okay so once my parameters are perfect again. I will get some more barbs.
how many would be alright.
I have 2 right now so should I get some so that they will be an odd number or is it even. do they have to be the same type of barb?

Back
Top Bottom