Hardscape Finished - Critique Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kntry

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have the hardscape finished in my 75 gallon planted tank. (well almost planted tank
loudlaff.gif
)

I used Great Stuff to build hills and outline the stream that is in the forest. I put bread crate pieces under all the rocks so they didn't sit on the glass. The rocks are pink granite. Man was that rock hard to break. I used the hammer drill and put holes all around the rock and used a sledge hammer and still couldn't break even a small piece off. I had to get DS to break it for me and it took everything he had.
sFun_shocked.gif

The trees are Manzanita branches that I mounted on pieces of slate. They will have plants on the branches.

I grated a bird cuttle bone and sprinkled it across the bottom, added clay to the mineralized the dirt and put it in the tank then capped it with Black Diamond blasting sand.

I had to order blue sand to fill in the stream bed so I'm waiting on that to fill the tank.

As usual, the pics are not great but there is so much glare coming from the doors, I can't get a clear pic. Any criticism is appreciated. This is my first attempt at this.

I added (2) 306 Fluval filters with an inline Hydor 300 watt heater.

Now I have to find plants. The foreground will have a ground cover for grass, mid level plants and tall plants to the back.

I'm waiting to order the light until the controller comes in but I'm losing my patience.
sSig_aaarggh.gif
BuildMyLed is in the process of launching their new controller and it has been put back for at least 2 months now. I just got another email a few minutes ago saying it's pushed back another 10 days. I'm seriously thinking about changing the brand.

Attachments

• Hills 3-14-14.jpg
    Hills 3-14-14.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 231
  • Rocks & trees 3-15-14.jpg
    Rocks & trees 3-15-14.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 240
  • Hardscape finished 3-15-14.jpg
    Hardscape finished 3-15-14.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 251
Thank you! I'm going to try to get a better pic when my phone recharges.

I keep second guessing myself with the placement of the rocks. I want it to look natural.

Been there, dude!
Maybe try having some of the rocks touch?
What plants & fish are you planning?

Fish are easy. Purple, Green, Tux and Red Fancy Guppies, Balloon Mollies, Neons, some shrimp, Ottos and Cory's.

Plants are not so easy so I could use a lot of help.

The tank is low tech. I'd like a short carpet along the front and stream bed with maybe Dwarf Hairgrass in the middle and taller plants to the back. I'd like something with red but I have to be careful because I don't have CO2.

I'd welcome suggestions.

I got some guppies today! They really brighten up the tank .
Can t really help you with the plants.....a lot of other more knowledgable people here tho that can.
Subscribed for sure.

Maybe this is a little better. Since the cap is so dark, it's hard to get a pic of the details of the trees.

I'll try a real camera tomorrow.

Attachments

• Hardscape 3-15-14.jpg
    Hardscape 3-15-14.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 231
I find looking at actual pictures of landscapes help me arrange rocks better. Maybe you could google "rock outcropping on hill" or something like that :) Looking good though!

The wood layout looks great. Placement and proportions are all spot on. The only critique I would have is IMO the layout could greatly benefit from a more natural type of stone choice. Also, keeping it to one type of stone helps. Oh, and a black background would compliment the scape well too. Great start! (y)

Last edited:
Fish are easy. Purple, Green, Tux and Red Fancy Guppies, Balloon Mollies, Neons, some shrimp, Ottos and Cory's.

Plants are not so easy so I could use a lot of help.

The tank is low tech. I'd like a short carpet along the front and stream bed with maybe Dwarf Hairgrass in the middle and taller plants to the back. I'd like something with red but I have to be careful because I don't have CO2.

I'd welcome suggestions.

Hardscape looks really nice!
As far as plants go, you're not going to have much luck with carpet plants in a low tech tank. Most carpet plants need high light and the comprehensive fertilizer dosing and pressurized CO2 that go along with that. Dwarf hairgrass and baby tears are about as high maintenance as you can get. Dwarf sag and chain swords are the closest thing I can think of that might give a carpet-like appearance in low tech, although the lower the light, the taller dwarf sag will grow. For low tech some nice plants would be anacharis, hornwort, java moss, anubias, java ferns and crypts.

Hardscape looks really nice!
As far as plants go, you're not going to have much luck with carpet plants in a low tech tank. Most carpet plants need high light and the comprehensive fertilizer dosing and pressurized CO2 that go along with that. Dwarf hairgrass and baby tears are about as high maintenance as you can get. Dwarf sag and chain swords are the closest thing I can think of that might give a carpet-like appearance in low tech, although the lower the light, the taller dwarf sag will grow. For low tech some nice plants would be anacharis, hornwort, java moss, anubias, java ferns and crypts.

I agree with Khuligirl's comment. I tried to grow dwarf hairgrass three different times and failed, it would grow a bit, but mostly melted. I tried everything to get it to grow. It wasn't until I got pressurized Co2 that it started thriving.

Ive got a very nice dwarf hairgrass carpet. I dont think my lighting is all that but i use pressurised co2, excel and ferts

Well, the red rocks kept me up all night.:facepalm: First thing this morning, I took some out and still didn't like it. They looked too fake and then imagining all the green around the red rocks. NOPE

I pulled up some stones from around the driveway that used to be around my pond and broke some up.

I like this much better.

I can't wait for the blue sand to come in so I can finish the stream and fill it up.

What do ya'll think?

Attachments

• Brown rocks 3-16-14.JPG
    Brown rocks 3-16-14.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 174
  • New pic 3-16-14.JPG
    New pic 3-16-14.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 174
  • Rocks brown 3-16-14.JPG
    Rocks brown 3-16-14.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 168
I like the brown rocks much better than the red ones you started with. The red ones, without the greenery, looked like they were hot. Haha. Anyway, you definitely have an eye for this. I'll be following your progress eagerly.

Thanks! Considering this is my first attempt. Now I need to see if I can get the plants to grow.

The rocks along stream are the same. I'm not going to use the red rocks anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom