Hardscape Finished - Critique Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why not do the home-brew system? I know several people on this forum have used them with great success and there are lots of youtube video examples.

I've thought about it but it seems like you would have to replace it a lot and I don't know if you can regulate how much goes into the tank at a time. I'll look into it more. Thanks!

Algae has taken over. YIKES!
help.gif

I have CO2 coming this week. I'm hoping I can figure out how to hook everything up and not gas my fish.

I've been reading everything I can find on how to set up the CO2, how long to let it run and when, and how to set it up with the lighting. I'm still not completely sure I have it together though.

I hope ya'll enjoy! I'll update as I get the CO2 hooked up and the plants in.

Sandy

Attachments

• Right side algae 4-14-14.jpg
    Right side algae 4-14-14.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 104
  • full pic with algae 4-14-14.jpg
    full pic with algae 4-14-14.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 99
Sorry, I didn't see your post. I was running the light all day. I have turned it off except for a few hours in the evening. The tank sits next to a 20' wall of 8' French doors so it gets light all day. The tank has been in this spot for 4 years and never had algae until I changed it to a planted tank.

I got some plants, Nerites and fish in today. The Glosso mat was cut into pieces and is not pretty right now but....
wink.gif
I have pieces of slate sitting on top if the Glosso to hold it down until it takes root.

Once the plants start to grow, I'm sure I'll be moving them around.

I want to find some type of low growing, bushy plant that I can put along the banks of the stream, towards the back to give it height and depth.

I am so loving this tank. I want to set up more.
help.gif

My CO2 tank, regulator and reactor came in today, also. I had the tank filled and will set it up tomorrow, praying I don't kill my fish.

Attachments

• 4-17-14 Gloose full.jpg
    4-17-14 Gloose full.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 4-17-14 Glooso on left side.jpg
    4-17-14 Glooso on left side.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 4-17-14 Tank planted.jpg
    4-17-14 Tank planted.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 112
Wow you really do have an algae farm lol

Algae appears when there is an imbalance of light, co2 and nutrients. Your co2 will defo help!!!

I would stop this tank from getting direct light for that long. Plants can start up the photosynthesis process much faster than algae can, hence why people often use 6 hour photoperiods.

You probably didnt get algae last time as there wasn't the nutrients for the algae. This time around they are getting everything they need

If i were you, i would cover my tank completely for 3 solid days. No light whatsoever. Plants will come out looking a bit sorry for themselves but will survive, algae wont.
Then try cutting the light down to 6 hours and see if it helps

Thanks, I will try that.

Does CO2 help get rid of the algae?

Sorry I haven't posted in a while.

I finally got rid of the hair algae and now I have BBA. I just added 5 SAE's but they're not paying any attention to it so I've stopped feeding to see if they'll eat it.

Oh well, I was going to post a short vid but I guess they aren't allowed here.

Here's a few pics. The tank has come a long way.(y)

Attachments

• 7-19-14.jpg
    7-19-14.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Shrimp in Moss.jpg
    Shrimp in Moss.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 74
Looks great! Very dense, I almost think there's too much going on. You did a great job getting rid of that algae now. So did you end up going for dwarf sag?

Looking great! Keep up the good work. Have you considered placing a dark or black background?

Eh....I really like the light background.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It looks great!!! I love how dense in it especially with the "stream" running through makes it look very natural to me ;) keep up the good work

+1 on the lighy background again for what you're trying to go for I think the light background makes it look more natural especially since you dont see it much with how dense the plants are, but if you'd like to know what I dark background would look like (just incase you're curious ;) ) I would put a garbage bag stretched tight over the back and that would give you a general idea :)

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom