Have a new 10g Planted tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike89

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got a new 10g tank for x-mas and have it set up. There are some live plants in their like Water Wisteria, Red Myrio, and Jungle Val plus some Malaysian wood for decoration. So far right now the plants are just getting well rooted before I eventually add a couple fish. I also has a dual substrate natural gravel for the plants and sand as an accent.

I want to cycle the tank with a few fish, but don't know what some good ones are. I think I've heard something about mollies but not sure. Sorry I can't get pics for you guy's to see what it looks like, but at the moment my camera needs it's batteries charged.

Thanks!!! That was a good article to read. I know fishless cycling is the best, but I do know that you can cycle a tank with one to two fish also. I just don't know what kind.

I read somewhere that as long as you change 25% of the water each day that you can have few fish and still be cycling the tank. But would need a second opinion.

It't very stressful to the fish. Even if they survive the cycling process it will probably shorten the live span, as the amonia and nitrite damage the gills, kidneys and other vital organs.

Ok......... So I've been looking around and found something called " silent cycling " it use's plants in the cycling process. It say's the plants absorb the ammonia and nitrates. So if I change a percentage of the water every day would that work?

Plants will only slow the cycling process, not make it safe for fish. Some plants will eat the amonia before it can be converted to nitrite/nitrate, so it merely slows the cycling process down.

It won't make it safer for fish during the process.

I read that you can "feed" your tank fish food... It's supposed to speed up the process.

Back
Top Bottom