Have a S10 and S15 marina hob...question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shynepo3

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have both these filters for my 5 gal and 10 gal tanks. They make these filter cartridges specifically for them :

http://feeds2.yourstorewizards.com/1298/images/250x1000/marinaslimcarb3pk.gif

but if i want to medicate the tank, and get rid of the carbon, i can't. I had to actually go and use a scissor and tear the pad open, and remove all the ceramic and carbon out (which was a PAIN).

what should i use instead ? can i get filter floss, and just stuff it in the hob (after cutting to size), and a separate media bag with carbon when i'm not treating the tank?

shynepo3 said:
So I have both these filters for my 5 gal and 10 gal tanks. They make these filter cartridges specifically for them :

http://feeds2.yourstorewizards.com/1298/images/250x1000/marinaslimcarb3pk.gif

but if i want to medicate the tank, and get rid of the carbon, i can't. I had to actually go and use a scissor and tear the pad open, and remove all the ceramic and carbon out (which was a PAIN).

what should i use instead ? can i get filter floss, and just stuff it in the hob (after cutting to size), and a separate media bag with carbon when i'm not treating the tank?

Yes you can cut filter floss to size and stuff it in. Do you have bio media in there? The extra media bag for carbon is a good idea.
But I think the ceramic that you removed was the bio media. You need it... otherwise the ammonia levels in your tank will slowly rise, and harm your fish.

oh shoot...****...what should i do? the tank was cycled...i threw it all out

help please....should i go buy a media bag and put ceramic in it? will that be ok? do they even sell ceramic like that?

shynepo3 said:
oh shoot...****...what should i do? the tank was cycled...i threw it all out

Do you have the bio media still in your other tank?

shynepo3 said:
help please....should i go buy a media bag and put ceramic in it? will that be ok? do they even sell ceramic like that?

Yes they do. But buying new goo media wouldn't help right now. It would take a while to cycle. Is it possible for you to take some of the bio media out of your other filter? Then you would still have some in both, and hopefully keep the fish alive. Buying more bio media would help for the future.

shynepo3 said:
yes..i also have the same filter replacement pads too

Ok, then I would take a new pad and open it up and borrow a few prices of ceramic from the other tank. Then the bacteria will be in both tanks, and the borrowed bacteria will hopefully multiply and occupy all the ceramic.

oh my god, you mean that the ceramic i took out, is cycled?

shynepo3 said:
oh my god, you mean that the ceramic i took out, is cycled?

Yes. There was beneficial bacteria on the ceramic you took out.

the whole filter pad is still in there, just missing the carbon and cermaic in between...i thought all the bacteria is in the filter pad???

shynepo3 said:
the whole filter pad is still in there, just missing the carbon and cermaic in between...i thought all the bacteria is in the filter pad???

Nope. The filter pad catches dirt and debris. The ceramic stuff allows beneficial bacteria to live on it and convert ammonia to nitrites and then nitrates. Hold on I will copy and paste what carbon does cuz I just posted the same thing in another thread

oh my god...ok...so what should i do? in the other tank, there are 2 pads with carbon/cermaic, in the tank that i took out, there are 3 pads (but all 3 are missing carbon and ceramic).

i'm such an idiot..i'm so angry at myself right now

and i also have 3 replacement pads (with carbon/ceramic - brand new)

shynepo3 said:
oh my god...ok...so what should i do? in the other tank, there are 2 pads with carbon/cermaic, in the tank that i took out, there are 3 pads (but all 3 are missing carbon and ceramic).

i'm such an idiot..i'm so angry at myself right now

Don't be! You didn't know! Just GE glad that you caught yourself before things got bad. Can you get any cycled media from a friend or someone near you??

well the other tank is cycled...so i can get media from that. am i gonna have to recycle now?

shynepo3 said:
well the other tank is cycled...so i can get media from that. am i gonna have to recycle now?

Try to get media from the other tank. I hope it keeps it cycled. If not, your outta luck and will have to cycle again... unless you can get the bio media you threw away (if it is still wet)

holy frig...******.

so i'll take one of the pads from the other tank (i'll manually remove the carbon). and i'll put two new pads as well (with ceramic only, carbon will be removed). so this means, the tank will have one estabished pad, and two new ones.

my other tank, will have 1 establised pad, and 1 new one.

this sound all good?

also, the 3 pads i took everything out, i can throw those out? no point in keeping them being that they dont have ceramic (or carbon) right?

Back
Top Bottom