Hawaiian Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackson123

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my family and I want a 125 gallon Hawaiian tank. Here is the stock I have planned:
•2 yellow tangs
•1 Picasso trigger
•1 lion fish
Could I add more or no? If so, any suggestions? Does this work and will I need any inverts or gobies?

I would skip the Picasso, the need 180's. No, you don't need any inverts. Gobies are a type of fish... They aren't really a part of CUC. There are sand sifting ones, but they eat pods and stuff in the sand. Why two yellow tangs? You could get two different ones.

As for the Lionfish, I think he's ok. Depending on the type.

A sailfin would get too big, they also don't come from Hawaii.

While you are correct that the Sailfin would outgrow a 125, ( They get larger than 20" tall when fins are fully extended) you missed on their location ;)They are found in Hawaii. In fact, the largest one we got from there was too large for our 100 gal tanks and needed to be donated to the Miami Seaquarium back in the 1980s. You can see some pics of them in Oahu here: Sailfin Tang, Zebrasoma veliferum

As for the lionfish, if the OP wants to go pre-volitan invasion natural Hawaiian fish, The Pterois sphex is the native lionfish of Hawaii. A beautiful lion similar in size to the P. antennata.

Hope this helps (y)

There are a multitude of Hawaiian fish that would fit in that sized tank. Wrasses, Hawkfish, Dwarf Potter's Angel, Butterflies, Puffers, Damsels, Soldierfish, etc. that are Hawaiian specific or endemics. If you really want to go "True Hawaiian", you may want to google search Hawaiian endemic fishes and see what's truly from there only. Then decide what you like that will fit your tank. ;)

Hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom