Head's 29G Biocube journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cool, if Ammo= 0 and trite=0, do a big PWC ( about 50% ) to bring down trates, and pick out your first fish!! Congratulations :)

Nitrates are at 20 so im going to do a water change and then i should be good for some fish, gotta see what they have in stock, if they dont have chromis what should i look for? i like some of the damsels but i dont want them to restrict my stocking later if i get them

I would shy away from the Damsels, except a clown maybe. They will handcuff future selections, too darn mean! Unless you want a Damsel tank, then they would be fine.
I would look into some of the gobies, firefish are really cool. Pink-spot goby, jaw fish maybe.
Just be selective, it's best to plan out your tank inhabitants, before you even get the first one. Think about what fish you really want to have, and stock according to what will get along with it, best way to do it.
I always wanted a puffer, but started off the wrong way, and besides a little Valentini puffer, 8 years later, I've still never had a puffer!!
Think about it first and you won't regret it later.
Best of luck!!

the only thing i know for sure that i want is a coral beauty angel, thus i will stock around it.
but my plan is to get that last

BHead707 said:
the only thing i know for sure that i want is a coral beauty angel, thus i will stock around it.
but my plan is to get that last

That's the way to do it!!
Most of this stuff is pretty easy, if you go about it the proper way.
I think you and your tank will do well, you've got the right mind-set.
Have fun selecting your other stock!

So after going to 3 different lfs, i finally found one that had some chromis, i ended up getting 4, they are pretty small(1'' is my guess) after dripping they seemed to be doing fine swimming around and all that jazz. when i turned the night blues on they went and huddled in the corner together but all still seems well.

one question i have is that, i have some NLS pellets that i could feed them,but they seem a little large for them.what is the best food for them? i must admit i overlooked the food aspect a little

Nls plets are great! My clown was able to eat them (he was 1" as well) so i would crush them in half with a toothpick and drop em in :) it was tedious but it worked!

Thanks, I will try breaking them
and more questions...

--what hour schedule should i have for my lights?
--What protein skimmer is used with the BC 29? Is there a specific one that is made for that tank, i thought i heard someone mention there was.

Sounds good BHead, good luck with them!
Chromis are cool, should give you a little schooling look. Good choice :)

If you want a nice nano protein skimmer i would get a tunze 9002. A nice skimmer that will fit in the first compartment of your biocube :)

CPR SR3. That is the one I run in my tank. I have had the biocube skimmer and the tunze. It by far out performs them. A little pricier but worth the money.

Fish are doing ok, there is one being real sketchy at the top of the tank by itself, not feeling to good about it

I have yet to check out the skimmers, just got a new job so been busy and thanks GI ill check that one out

I wouldn't worry too much about the lone wolf, there's one in every bunch. usually.

ok...sooooooo. there is only one chromis left. they have slowly been dropping off. I have no idea what i am doing wrong. i tested for amm - 0ppm nitrite--0ppm and nitrates-20ppm.
i did a WC yesterday and everything else is doing fine in the tank.

For one of the fish i look over and watch the tank and i see it suddenly dart around the tank wildly thrashing into the ground glass and anything in its way, i found this really strange, anyone have any tips of what to check for?

Dead Chromis

Sorry, that really sucks!!
What's your temp. Too high of a temp limits the amount of oxygen in the water. Do they look like their having trouble breathing?
What about anything toxic getting into the water? Cigarette residue or smoke, bug spray, cologne, paint fumes, cleaners or chlorine, even heavy kitchen fumes could cause poisoning.
Only other thing I can think of would be stray voltage. Erratic swimming like that always makes me think of them being shocked, but it is rarely the cause, sometimes, but rarely.
Hope this helps to try and figure it out, sorry for your losses...

Temp 81.3
seems a little high but they dont look as though they are having a hard time breathing, and the tank is out of the way where nothing would get into the tank, and we dont smoke so thats out.

im just kinda stuck because this is happening for me and my dads tank, the fish seem to be dieing the same way as well.

Im in california as well, maybe your heater is too strong? The temp is pretty level and doesnt fluctuate much, my tank temp is alwys 79. The biocube is pretty compact and the lights are trapped under the hood so all the heat is trapped in the tank, i would buy some fans. I know a while back the makers of biocube were having a sale and giving away free fans, i heard they worked pretty well. :D

Back
Top Bottom