Head's 29G Biocube journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ive managed to get the powerhead in a decent enough spot that it doesnt cause a sand tornado. Ill keep messing with it but i am satisfied for now.

My clownfish has determined that he loves the back corner of my tank. Is there anyway i can get him to come swim around the rock? :wave:

Ok im looking to get another fish, Got any suggestions? I just have the one clown in my tank now so its need s to be compatible with that and a Coral beauty angel

BHead707 said:
Ok im looking to get another fish, Got any suggestions? I just have the one clown in my tank now so its need s to be compatible with that and a Coral beauty angel

Do you a goby? Or maybe a yellow face jawfish? I love my jawfish! He's a real digger though so make sure all your rock work is sitting on the base of the tank. Mine digs and sifts through the sand like crazy. Here's a pic and a short video.

Well I have to clear space for the pick but here's the liveaquaria link.

Yellowhead Jawfish: Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums

Or maybe a firefish?

Firefish: Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums

I have both....

Howdy all its been about a month since ive posted on here. Been busy with work. Anyway my tank has changed a bit. Currently there is some hermits and two clownfish one ocellaris and one tomato clown.( I have heard this wont work but as of right now i have seen no agggression at all from either of them. if it changes i am prepared to take one back to the lfs.)

anyway here are a couple pics, The last picture is of a random growth i am seeing on the large flat portion in the middle of the tank. It has some very small green spots on it that glow under the blue led's. let me know if you have any idea of what that is or what other fish i could add to the tank

44265-albums9852-picture40231.jpg

44265-albums9852-picture40232.jpg

44265-albums9852-picture40233.jpg

44265-albums9852-picture40234.jpg

Could be zoa polyps. Cant see in the pic though. Sound like it though

Got a new coral the other day, looks like a frogspawn to me but i was told by the lfs it is a hammer. got it for 10 bucks which seemed like a pretty good deal so i figured id get it. Also i just got a purple dottyback, really cool fish and is doing fine so far, she hides alot so don't see much of her.

44265-albums9852-picture40452.jpg

Ya yours is small, but i can still tell because the ends do look like hammers, a kinda ovel shape. A frogspawn has tips that are circles, and usually multiple branch out of a single tentical :)

I now have a question about lighting, are there only 2 options for the bulbs you can put in the hood? the lfs i went to just had the actinic blue and the 10k. is that all they offer to fit it?

also are emerald crabs reef safe?

I know there are differant bulbs that offer differant colours, some people use purple bulbs along with their 10/20 k and actinic bulbs. I havent done it, but i think you can order these online, not sure what other colours there are.

Emerald crabs are supposed to be reef safe, but many people dont like then because there are some emeralds that eat corals and can be a bit agressive. I would only want one to eat the bubble algae... Lol :)

I now have a question about lighting, are there only 2 options for the bulbs you can put in the hood? the lfs i went to just had the actinic blue and the 10k. is that all they offer to fit it?

also are emerald crabs reef safe?

Yes those are the only lights for the stock hood. And emerald crabs are considered reef safe however I caught mine cutting my polyps so took it out

Alrighty just the answers i wanted,
next: Is a 29G too small for a diamond watchman goby?
liveaquaria says 30 gal min, reefs2go says 55. pretty big difference there.

tanks been up for..ummm. 2 months. also my sand bed isnt that deep, is it bad to add sand on top of the old stuff?

BHead707 said:
tanks been up for..ummm. 2 months. also my sand bed isnt that deep, is it bad to add sand on top of the old stuff?

I've added sand into my tank after its been up for months. Not sure of its bad but I did it.

i only have like 20 lbs and its not deep at all so i figure id need more if i were to get that goby

ooh i was always under the impression that you need a hefty bed of sand for some reason

Many people have no sand bed in particular if they have an SPS tank to help improve consistent water parameters. Of course if you are planning on keeping a diamond goby you will need lots of sand. Don't bother worrying about where your sand is just make sure that if you get a diamond goby that your rocks are set before your sand is introduced. Your goby will not care where "you" want the sand and will change it for you. If your rocks are not settled though your scape could all come crashing down and injury stock or crack the tank.

I had a diamond goby in with my seahorses for a while. He just got too greedy with the mysis and had to go back to the store. Pretty cool fish though!

Was in a BC29 also.

Back
Top Bottom