Heater. For my girlfriends betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishtankfan

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everybody I need help! My girlfriend has a male beta in a 2.5 gallon tank. Her room is the coldest room in the house and poor Sam (her beta) has freezing water :(. Now I have a old heater from a five gallon that says to work for 3-15 gallon. It says it has an auto turn off when the water is at the temp needed. Would this work? Or would it fry Sam from being to big of a heater? Any help would be. Wry appreciated. Help poor Sam!

Heaters with thermostats are fine in smaller tanks. They will switch off when they meet temperature. It might need to be set at a lower setting to get the right temp so a glass thermometer on the opposite side of the tank to keep an eye on it is needed. There is a risk of them malfunctioning and overheating the tank but you run that risk with every heater.

With it only being a half gallon bigger of a heater it should be fine just watch and check the temperature to make sure

I have an Aqueon 50w adjustable heater in my 2.5g tank that works perfectly. I keep eye on the temp with an in water thermometer & have the heater horizontally along the bottom of the back glass.

It will work fine. Just make sure you get a thermometer in there to keep an eye on temp.
Bettas should have their temp at 78-82, non adjustable heaters normally shut off at 76, but its better than nothing, and close enough to their range that its not a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom