Heaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dirtautoguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My fish tank is going to be takin care of for a while by my mom. I have a aqueon 100 watt heater right now but would like to have a spare one or two on hand. But I have read alot about heaters cooking the fish! How often does that happen and how can it be prevented? The tank is a 29 gallon tank I was thinking about getting two smaller heaters and running them at the same time what do you think?

Usually the heaters that cook fish are cheaper ones. It doesn't happen often but it does on occasion. I've personally seen it happen twice but both times the problem was caught before anything died.

Heaters are the one piece of equipment that I severely recommend people splurge on.

So I should be fine if I got a higher ish dollar one? I personally like the idea of running two smaller ones but really I just want to know that I can trust the heater does that make sense?

Two 50's will work just fine on your 29g. The logic you are using is sound and used by many. Just make sure you get a good brand. Aqueon or Fluval. I went with Fluval as they are known for high quality and I haven't had one issue with them in years. OS.

So I should be fine if I got a higher ish dollar one?... I just want to know that I can trust the heater does that make sense?

I have an aqueon heater that is fantastic, it was a little pricy but well worth the money because you can set an exact temp, and it will only heat to that temp. It automatically shuts itself off. Some cheap heaters just heat the aquarium warmer and warmer, and you meed to watch the temp and unplug and replug it. My heater keeps it consistent amd the temp never budges between 78-80°. I have a strip on thermometer so I dont know the exact temperature.

I have an aqueon heater that is fantastic, it was a little pricy but well worth the money because you can set an exact temp, and it will only heat to that temp. It automatically shuts itself off. Some cheap heaters just heat the aquarium warmer and warmer, and you meed to watch the temp and unplug and replug it. My heater keeps it consistent amd the temp never budges between 78-80°. I have a strip on thermometer so I dont know the exact temperature.

+1, my aqueon heater has been terrific.

I shopped around a bit for heaters until I bought an Eheim Jager heater and decided that they were amazing. Now I have 4 tanks that use them and not a single problem ever since.

Back
Top Bottom