Hello all! I am starting a 20 gallon! Questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nessybehr

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am moving fish from a ten gallon to a 20 gallon. I have everything set up I took some bio stars from the old filter and also took water from the ten gallon during a water change and added it to the 20 gallon. How long should I let it run before adding fish? Any other advice would be great!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's probably fine to add them right away but I'd text your parameters to make sure

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have all new gravel cleaned and rinsed but i m not sure if I should I add some old gravel as well

Add old gravel and a wet filter catridge from the old tank into the new, as those will have bacteria on them which will allow you to get fish faster.

What fish you you have and what are you planning on getting?

I have bio stars full of good bacteria the ten gallon filter won't fit. I have a couple balloon mollies Harleys and I was told to add neon tetras since they are hardy. I also added live plants

Also a Chinese algae eater and a dwarf frog

We did this recently :). Moved everything over including critters. We have sand.

Got 5 more fish several days later. Tested a week later and things were good :)

Our bio filter prior to moving things was, and is very strong.

Make sure that when you move all of your old filters, substrate, etc, that they don't have time to dry out. If they do all of your bacteria will die, and youll have to start cycling all over again!

Stars go in with your filter and absorb good bacteria

I switched a tack from gravel to sand two weeks ago, also moved it to different room. I kept filter wet and reused about 3 gallons of dirty a$$ water. I even scrubbed tank clean of algae. Tested water two days after it was running again and it was perfect. Added fish next day. All doing well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

All my fish are doing great! I lost one most likely to stress but everyone else is happy!

Pic

Attachments

• 1426834375498.jpg
    1426834375498.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 55
So hey... That Chinese algae eater can get to about a foot long. Way way too big for either of your tanks. Also I use to have one and it ate 4 of my fish over night randomly. I recommend taking it back immediately.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

I've had it for 6 months it's never harmed any of my fish

I'll ask my local store if they'll take him

Yeah I had mine for almost a year before it did it. Those are very similar to a shark in my opinion. I would recommend otocinclous for your tank cleaner. :)

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

Back
Top Bottom