Hello All!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anima

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Greetings everyone!

I've been in the aquarium hobby off and on for about 15 years. At one point in the distant past I had five tanks from 75-20 gal, full of African and S. American cichlids. After all those tanks' inhabitants died of old age I took a break from the hobby for many years. In 2017 I started up again with a 5.5 gal housing a Betta and a couple Nerites. When the Betta passed away in 2019 his tank started to crash - it needed a fish in the ecosystem. I restocked with three Ember tetras and that did the trick!

The past couple months the tank's been looking sad. With the exception of my Anubias, all my plants have died off. One of my two Nerites has passed away and it looks like the second is not long for this world. (He's barely moved for the past week, and he's almost three now.) It's time to replenish, replant, and restock!

Yesterday I did a deep clean on the tank. I emptied it but retained two gallons of the existing water, added new substrate as I'm sure the old stuff is exhausted, and put in some fake plants as placeholders. I've ordered 2 Bacopa Carolinia Red, 1 Ludwiga Senegalensis, one Cabomba Aquatica, and a golf ball of Christmas Moss. I also ordered 10 Orange Pumpkin Neocaradina.

I've never kept shrimp before, so any tips and tricks on those guys would be greatly appreciated. Other than that I look forward to swapping stories and advice with all of you!

Welcome to the community. I LOVE Shrimp and inverts! Will be seeing you around for sure.

Ideally the dwarf shrimp need a matured tank so that all the biofilm on all the surfaces can be enjoyed through out the days.

Did you keep, if you had it, the cycled media or change it out?

A product called Bacter AE seeds the tank with little goodies. Use sparingly. And in my experience using it less than recommended in amount and number of times per week is better than too much.

Do you have a liquid water testing kit?

Post a new thread in inverts so you can have the whole thing develop from the start!
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f129/

Welcome to the community. I LOVE Shrimp and inverts! Will be seeing you around for sure.
Thank you! I've seen quite a few of your posts in the Inverts section, you seem very knowledgeable about them!

Ideally the dwarf shrimp need a matured tank so that all the biofilm on all the surfaces can be enjoyed through out the days.

Did you keep, if you had it, the cycled media or change it out?
My tank is definitely mature - it was started in 2017! Normally when I do a water change the sponges (one on the intake, one in the filter) just get a good rinse in the bucket o tank water. I do replace them once they get too gunky. The ceramic biomedia I just leave alone unless it starts looking clogged.

A product called Bacter AE seeds the tank with little goodies. Use sparingly. And in my experience using it less than recommended in amount and number of times per week is better than too much.
Oooh, fancy shrimp snacks! I'll have to add that to my collection, thanks for the tip!

Do you have a liquid water testing kit?
Sure do, API Master + GH/KH!

Post a new thread in inverts so you can have the whole thing develop from the start!
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f129/
I definitely will!

Thanks so much for the welcome, and thanks in advance for all the shrimp advice!! :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom