Hello from Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zedwin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I am so glad to have found this group. I set up a small 22 litre aquarium six weeks ago and boy have there been problems. Who knew keeping goldfish would be so hard! Lol

I've had a dead Sharkey in week 1, getting to grips with the tank cycle...high Ph levels, Bones now has a slight case of sbd and I have rapidly growing population of tiny snails.....I am spending hours researching and learning so much. Although im finding it a little stressful kids and I are loving it and I cant wait until all these little problems are ironed out.

I will probably have lots of questions for you all. I hope I dont drive you mad!

Hi. 22 litres is about 5 gallons which is way too small for a goldfish. Depending on the type you have they need about 30-40 gallons or 113-150 liters for one fish and they are extremely messy. If you can't get a larger tank, returning the goldfish and looking at new options would be the easiest and best route.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I too am also having really bad problems with keeping goldfish. I have a 60 litre biorb and did have 3 goldfish two have now died and only had them 2 weeks. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429207937.330654.jpgthink this one had white spot

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I too am also having really bad problems with keeping goldfish. I have a 60 litre biorb and did have 3 goldfish two have now died and only had them 2 weeks. View attachment 270186think this one had white spot

It does take time for a new tank to settle in and become stable. Unfortunately this is when new fish are most at risk.

It does look like ich. Like white salt grains all over the fish? How are you treating ?

I was treating with the White spot treatment the per shop sold us but unfortunately all the goldfish have now died.

I don't really know what to go for now. We are going to keep tropical fish as we have purchased the biorb heater. Want something that are easy to keep. My little boy is devastated.

Yes, kind of the same problem here when I started. I did schooling fish in the 1 to 2 inch size which are easier (sort of) to replace unnoticed.

I've got a betta in a 22l tank. A larger tank could have a betta and some dwarf chain loaches on the bottom.

Ime live bearers I've found the odd one is lost but in a tank with hiding spots you can get self sustaining population.

Tetras do better after the tank has been established, certainly cycled at least imo.

I researched to find fish that roughly matched my tap water (ph above 7 and soft kh, gh) and went from there.

Now I have to bribe the family with coffee from Dome to stop off at the lfs on the way back :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom