HELLO NEWBIE WITH CICHLID ?S

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvmygt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
HI ALL!! I CURRENTLY HAVE A 55 GAL CICHLID TANK THAT I HAVE HAD FOR A FEW YEARS NOW (A VARIETY OF MBUNA, SCOLOFI, AURATUS...). WHEN I FIRST STARTED WITH CICHLIDS I DID IT FOR THE VARIETY OF COLOR (KNEW ONLY WHAT LFS HAD TOLD ME ABOUT THEM) NOW THAT I HAVE AN ESTABLISHED TANK I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE IT APPEAR MORE REEF LIKE WITH ROCK AND CRUSHED CORAL. HOW CAN I GO FROM GRAVEL TO THE NEW SUBSTRATE WITHOUT DISTURBING MY ECOLOGICAL BALANCE IN MY ESTABLISHED GRAVEL? ALSO I HAVE BEEN HEARING MORE AND MORE ABOUT NIGHT LIGHTS? IS THIS SOMETHING JUST FOR LOOKS OF MAYBE I COULD BENEFIT FROM. SO IF ANYONE COULD HELP ME OUT I WOULD APPRECIATE IT. THANKS

Welcome to AA Luvmygt! In the future, do not type in cap locks.

As long as the tank is established, you can take out the substrate safely. I did the following:

Unplugged the heater, filter, and airstones. Wait 15 minutes after unplugging the heater before doing anything else.
Removed about 70% of the water
Bagged up the fish
Dug out the gravel
Sucked out the nasty debris water that was left in the tank
Cleaned the new sand/gravel and put it into the tank
Refilled the tank with new dechlorinated water
Turned on the heater, filter, and air stones
Re-acclimated the fish into the tank

I did not notice any type of mini-cycle by doing it this way. The filter holds a big majority of the bacteria that you need anyways.

A light set that I have found that works great with Africans is a triple tube strip. Then used 1 Actinic bulb and 2 50/50 bulbs. It really brought out the coloration in my Africans.

On a sidenote: watch your Auratus. They are one of the most aggressive Africans and have been known to tare apart other fish easily. I had a docile female that wasn't very aggressive but I have seen others rip apart other fish larger than them.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom