help! 6line wrasse sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jabber

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
yesterday he didn't eat as much as normal. This morning he was sitting on the bottom breathing heavy. This evening same thing. color looks good water parameters are perfect, other fish coral beuty, clown and hawkfish are all acting normal. I'm setting up my QT right now to move him any suggestions on meds? I've had him for 10 months, I added the coral Beuty last week, all fish get along great. Any suggestions? :cry:

update, he's in the QT he doesn't appear to be breathing heavy. What little swimming he's doing he's staying along the bottom and swimming slow. It appears his eyes are bloodshot but I can't tell real well. Any thoughts :?:

ok he's wedged himself between the pvc fitting and te glass which has allowed me a good look at him. His eyes are red and he's breathing rapidly. He also has his white mucus covering him which is normal I guess. It appears his top fin is detereating some. :cry:

Just keep an eye on him and do water changes when neccesary. We need to find out what is wrong as to start treatment on him

I've started doing hypo treatment I figured it wouldn't hurt since I'm not sure what he has. My LFS said to FW dip him what do you all think. Thanks

I`ve never had a good results from fresh water dips. Maybe others have but every time I did it it just stressed them out more.

Given the current symptoms I doubt hyposalinity is the best course of action. Agreed on the FW dip but it can be used as an effective diagnostic tool for Amyloodinium ocellatum (see here). The only problem being is if the fish is very sick, the dip could kill it.

How long have you had the clowns and are any of the other fish in the tank exhibiting similar symptoms in any way, particularly the angel?

Cheers
Steve

The clown has been around about two months. All other fish are fine. The wrasse is doing better I think, he is moving around alot more and eating. His eyes are still red, anyone know what causes his eyes to be red? When he does come out he is very timid any sudden movement and he swims back into his hiding spot. Reminder I've had this fish 10 months and he is always very personable. He appears to have dementia. :?

Is it still in the main or the QT? If QT what are the water parameters and have you done/added any treatments?

Noticed any aggression after the angel was added?

Cheers
Steve

The wrasse is in QT - the parameters are ammonia,nitrite, nitrate=0 ph=8.2 salinity is down to 1.014 temp=80 No treatments have been added I never new what to add. There was no agression with the angel he did seem alittle scared of the angel at first but the angel totally ignored him.
The wrasse is definately doing better he is swimming more and eating and his eyes don't appear to be as red. I think he just had a bacteria or parasite and he's fighting it off?

I think he just had a bacteria or parasite and he's fighting it off?

Could be either but if parasitic, the other fish would have shown some symptoms. Keep close watch on all of them. Continue as you have been and be sure to keep a close eye on the QT water quality. If it remains so, a mild bacterial problem may dissapear on it's own. Personally I don't think it's bacterial though.

Was the QT previously cycled or newly set up?

FWIW, parasitic infestations are there to stay unless treated properly. Fish can never be rid of most types unless the tank is fallowed.

Cheers
Steve

QT was newly set up using main tank water and sponge filter that had been floating in the sump for a few weeks. Should i continue to drop the salinity or leave it? The fish is kind of swimming around like he's lost or confused? :?

I'm gathering you've determined this is C. irritans?

If so and you have a refractometer, bring it down to 14 ppt and leave it there. Be sure to watch pH/alk specifically which could be what's causing the "drunken" motion. Also keep sharp tabs on water quality. How fast did you drop the salinity?

Cheers
Steve

I'm gathering you've determined this is C. irritans ?

Steve could you please translate into laymen terms.

I've droppped the salinity from 1.021 to 1.014 in a weeks time I will continue to lower it until I'm at 14 ppt. Thanks

It is NOT ICK he shows no signs of any spots at all. Did you assume that cause I was doing hypo? I though hypo would help in fighting off a parasite if that is what he has. Is this not true? Is hypo only good for ick? A'm I hurting my fish more by doing hypo? I need some guidance please!!!

Back
Top Bottom