Help! First big tank! Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BamBamFishKid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

Since i do months of research before buying anything, here i am, researching fish months before i get a tank. The tank im going to get is a 29 gallon topfin tank/hood combo from petsmart. The filter i am going to use is a tetra whisper 40 gallon in tank filter.Im going to use white sand for substrate, is this plantable? In the tank im going to put mopani drift wood and plants. If you could recommend some plants, that would be nice. This is what i was thinking about for a stock,
-golden dojo loach
-pair of bolivian rams(if possible)
-3 female powder blue gouramis
-3 female red wag platys
Is this too much? Yes, i know that dojos average around 8 inches, that is why im only getting 1 and the other fish are small.
If you disagree with my stock, make some recommendations.
What about 1 tiger oscar and some cory cats, would that work.

NNOOOO to the tiger Oscar!! No Oscar should go in any less than a 75 gallon and 50 gallon is pushing the limits, plus the rest of your stock will be eaten by the Oscar eventually. I think you could get away with the dojo loach, but if it turns out to be a problem, you could always re-home the guy.

Hi, I agree with the no tiger Oscar comment, ther get big an are very messy. They need room to swim an move. 3 rams would also not be good, a pair will form an harass the other one to death. Also the DG will become territorial and bully each other until 2 dies. You could always go with 1 DG. Cory's ,tetras, golden dojo loach would be fine though. If you want more the one dojo loach, I suggest looking at khuil loaches, they have the same body shape but are like smaller versions of them

Hi,

Since i do months of research before buying anything, here i am, researching fish months before i get a tank. The tank im going to get is a 29 gallon topfin tank/hood combo from petsmart. The filter i am going to use is a tetra whisper 40 gallon in tank filter.Im going to use white sand for substrate, is this plantable? In the tank im going to put mopani drift wood and plants. If you could recommend some plants, that would be nice. This is what i was thinking about for a stock,
-golden dojo loach
-pair of bolivian rams(if possible)
-3 female powder blue gouramis
-3 female red wag platys
Is this too much? Yes, i know that dojos average around 8 inches, that is why im only getting 1 and the other fish are small.
If you disagree with my stock, make some recommendations.
What about 1 tiger oscar and some cory cats, would that work.

Im using a layer of Florite Sub. and a layer of white sand, with a layer of gravel over top to help everything stay neat, but i have anubias plants(which i recommend if your new to live plants) but my anubius plants have rooted into my sand/florite sub and are thriving, and they are plants that supposedly cant be planted in your sub, so i'll say yes the sand in plantable, as my plants that arnt even supposed to be planted are thriving in it, but seriously look into anubius plants and amazon swords, they look nice, they will fit your 29 gallon well(i have a 29 gallon bio cube nano) and they are super hardy

Anubia's just like Java Ferns can be planted in substrate but you have to be sure to only plant the white roots and not the rhizome. It's not uncommon at all for either of these plants to send root down into the substrate even when attached to DW or rocks if they aren't too high up in the tank.

Sand is fine for plants but if you plant any Swords, Crypts, or bulb type plants you will need to use root tabs as they are all heavy root feeders.

As for recommending plants if your getting a kit and using the stock lighting it comes with you will have very low light and will be very limited to the plants you can grow. The plant list would be Anubia's, Java Ferns (all types), Bolbitus, Crypts (very good substrate plant for low light tanks but needs root tabs), Water Sprits, and probably Jungle Val (which IMO isn't a good choice for small tanks)

Anubia's just like Java Ferns can be planted in substrate but you have to be sure to only plant the white roots and not the rhizome. It's not uncommon at all for either of these plants to send root down into the substrate even when attached to DW or rocks if they aren't too high up in the tank.

Sand is fine for plants but if you plant any Swords, Crypts, or bulb type plants you will need to use root tabs as they are all heavy root feeders.

As for recommending plants if your getting a kit and using the stock lighting it comes with you will have very low light and will be very limited to the plants you can grow. The plant list would be Anubia's, Java Ferns (all types), Bolbitus, Crypts (very good substrate plant for low light tanks but needs root tabs), Water Sprits, and probably Jungle Val (which IMO isn't a good choice for small tanks)

First, thank you for verifying that anubius can go in the sub. it has been a debate between a buddy and i for a week now lol, and id agree with rivercats had a done more research before purchasing plants i would have gotten the starter kit, it really is a good value

Back
Top Bottom