Help i dont know what my plants are!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicolahuds

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Right so a trip to my lfs ended with me coming home with a few plants but nothing was labelled and i went for what looked nice but read some articles while trying to id what i have and think i may have a few non aquatic plants any help would be much apreciated.

Attachments

• IMAG0054.jpg
    IMAG0054.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 120
  • IMAG0055.jpg
    IMAG0055.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 129
  • IMAG0056.jpg
    IMAG0056.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 113
  • IMAG0057.jpg
    IMAG0057.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 128
Unfortunately, all but maybe the plant in the third picture are actually terrestrial or big plants and will not grow underwater. A lot of unknowing consumers do exactly what you did - buy what they think looks nice and stick it in the tank.

I think the plant in the third pic is baby tears.

The other stuff you can keep as houseplants.

One "test" you can do to see if a plant is terrestrial or aquatic is to hold it out of the water right side up. If it stands up, it's probably terrestrial. A few exceptions include java fern, anubias and possibly sword plants. (note; I have seen peace lilies sold as Braziilian swords, they are terrestrial.). Most aquatic plants will somewhat collapse out of water.

I agree with Rutrag... the only one fully aquatic is the Baby tears... I learned the bad way also... A lot of stores sell plants as a full aquatic, but some are not... and normally are really nice looking...
I recommend you to research first before you buy.... sounds silly and boring, but now I take a picture of the plant from the lfs, and start to compare it on line... Ryodoms has a great tread for plant profiles that can be use as a guide...

Hope this helps

Unfortunately, all but maybe the plant in the third picture are actually terrestrial or big plants and will not grow underwater. A lot of unknowing consumers do exactly what you did - buy what they think looks nice and stick it in the tank.

I think the plant in the third pic is baby tears.

The other stuff you can keep as houseplants.

One "test" you can do to see if a plant is terrestrial or aquatic is to hold it out of the water right side up. If it stands up, it's probably terrestrial. A few exceptions include java fern, anubias and possibly sword plants. (note; I have seen peace lilies sold as Braziilian swords, they are terrestrial.). Most aquatic plants will somewhat collapse out of water.

I did take the Fittonia's out and they dropped within about 5 minutes of being out of the water so put them back in for know till i can get some aquatic plants, its so frustrating that nothing is labelled and you are relying on the lfs knowledge or in this case lack off :(

My newly planted tank

So after visiting 3 different lfs i purchased some more plants which were all labelled, for a little shop i was impressed by how clean and how well all the plants looked and the fact that everything was labelled (y)
i have posted some pictures for you to see and with a little patience and care im hoping my tank will look how i imagined.

Attachments

• Day 16.jpg
    Day 16.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 116
  • IMAG0063.jpg
    IMAG0063.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 99
  • IMAG0064.jpg
    IMAG0064.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMAG0065.jpg
    IMAG0065.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 126
Plant advice

My tank has been planted for a couple of days and i have noticed some of the leaves aren't looking very good could anyone advise if this is normal while the plants settle or do i have a problem??

Attachments

• IMAG0086.jpg
    IMAG0086.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMAG0087.jpg
    IMAG0087.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 105
  • IMAG0088.jpg
    IMAG0088.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMAG0089.jpg
    IMAG0089.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 82
Plants do need to acclimate. It's not uncommon for leaves to melt (die) in the beginning but even if all of them do, leave the plant alone. New leaves will usually start growing again, so just be patient. Also, do you have any root fertilizer tablets or fertilizer for your water column. Another factor for good growth is lighting. What type of lighting do you have (T5's, stock lighting, etc.)?

Plants do need to acclimate. It's not uncommon for leaves to melt (die) in the beginning but even if all of them do, leave the plant alone. New leaves will usually start growing again, so just be patient. Also, do you have any root fertilizer tablets or fertilizer for your water column. Another factor for good growth is lighting. What type of lighting do you have (T5's, stock lighting, etc.)?

Thanks rivercats, just wanted to make sure as i have read that but when things start dying you cant help panick. Should i trim off the worst of the dead leaves, i can see small leaves but im not sure if they were new before put in my tank.

i have flourite sand but that is it (was recommended the seachem products which i have been trying to source locally), i have an aqua bright 7500k 20 watt & aqua blu 25000k 20 watt

You can but wait until they are pretty bad. If they are going to melt I'd let them do it naturally. As for your lights, what size tank do you have? The 7500K is fine but the 25000K is not good. Plants lights need to be between 6000K and 10000K. Anything higher is blue light which freshwater plants can't use. Also, what type bulbs do you have, T5's or ?

You can but wait until they are pretty bad. If they are going to melt I'd let them do it naturally. As for your lights, what size tank do you have? The 7500K is fine but the 25000K is not good. Plants lights need to be between 6000K and 10000K. Anything higher is blue light which freshwater plants can't use. Also, what type bulbs do you have, T5's or ?

I'll leave them alone then, they are both T8 , and my tank is 80 x 35 x 45 cm 125 litre

My tank has been planted for a couple of days and i have noticed some of the leaves aren't looking very good could anyone advise if this is normal while the plants settle or do i have a problem??
What are the red color plants? Very nice!!

Your plant are very nice. Could you please keep us updated on that bacopa australis. I've wanted to see what it grows like after it acclimates under water. I'm jealous because I have no access to wonderful tropica nursery plants.

Your plant are very nice. Could you please keep us updated on that bacopa australis. I've wanted to see what it grows like after it acclimates under water. I'm jealous because I have no access to wonderful tropica nursery plants.

Thank you. No problem, i was lucky to find the shop, i must have visited 5 or more before stumbling across the one where i bought mine. i will post pictures on how things are doing thou i have got everythings crossed as its not looking to good :(

Back
Top Bottom