Help Me ID This Rock. Is it safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MDT

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I found a whole bunch of cool looking rocks today in my backyard, but I have no idea if they are safe because I am unable to identify it.

It's metallic grey in colour and each side (3 sides) is different.
The flat side, which I think was split in half, is smooth and dull in colour. The bottom side is reflective and shiny, while the uneven front side sparkles a bit in light.

I live in Vancouver, BC if that helps at all.

I want to know if this rock is safe because they have a very nice look.

V4mXUM6.jpg
xWFOGTC.jpg

FGtsQV8.jpg
mEk3Ssv.jpg

Try pouring vinegar on it. If it fizzles, then you don't want to use it because it will most likely cause pH swings.

Looks like a type of marble, if so it will likely alter your water chemistry, but like Fishinfreak said test it with vinegar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Even if it does bubble it doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing. It will slowly increase your pH, although the softer your water the faster it will cause it to uptick. It should max out at just a hair over 8.0.

Well. If it is marble, there shouldn't be a problem right? Calcium carbonate is insoluble in water. So... Maybe I'm wrong :rolleyes:

Sent from my HM NOTE 1W using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you for all the input guys.
I have tried the vinegar test and nothing happened, but it doesn't mean it could be safe.
The rock looks like it may contain a ton of metals because of the gleam and shine it has.
I can't have any heavy metals leeching into the water :(

So far, most people I ask are telling me it's a type of schist. I'm going to go visit a geologist on Thursday to get her professional opinion. She is guessing it's gneiss, which actually looks the closest to my rock based on pictures so far. I'll keep you posted.

Im not a chemist or what not, by if metals are to leech into your water, they have to be in the form of a salt which is soluble, so I doubt it will leech heavy metals into the water, I may be wrong once again...

Sent from my HM NOTE 1W using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom