Help me identify these fish please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PITT

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I recently ran across a GREAT deal on a 55 g. tank. In the beginning I just wanted the stand so I was going to buy the whole thing but when I went to get it, they offered the fish too. I was somewhat hesitant since I just wanted to swap out the stand and sell the "new" setup to a friend. Once I found out what was to become of the fish...I took them too.

1 - Pleco (12-14 inches...she's a monster!!)
1 - some sort of cave fish they said. While trying to research, I think it's a Mexican Tetra?? It has no eyes, not that they are missing...but there is no socket. It's very strange looking at a fish w/ no eyes!! From what I could find, they will eat a normal tropical diet.

2 - now here is the mystery fish. They are about 7 inches and I hope the pics below work well enough. As soon as I approach the tank, they go bannanas thinking i'm going to feed them. The previous owner said they fed them live fish, but they seem to eat anything I've thrown in. Shimp pellets, dried whole shrimp, tropical flake food, algae waefers, and even the cucumber I threw in for the Pleco. They are eating machines. I do have some smaller fish that I hoped would hide in the plants until I could figure something out...but they haven't taken one out yet and the little guys don't bother hiding.

I'm thinking they only ate live since that was the diet offered?

They are really cool dudes and I'd like to feed/care for them properly...any help in IDing them would go along way towards that.

thanks everyone! :)

Attachments

• 100_1140.jpg
    100_1140.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 100_1157.jpg
    100_1157.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 100_1162.jpg
    100_1162.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 64
Ooops!! While reading around...I accidently posted this in the wrong forum...how do I move it??

The mods can move it and to me it looks like it may be a red bellied piranha.

post-16312-1177024213.jpg
For comparison

They are RB Pacu I believe and get freaking HUGE.

They are RB Pacu I believe and get freaking HUGE.
I think it would have made since to say that in your original post. I never new that there was a red belly pacu the picture I posted up looks about 99% the same though.

I can see why you got a good deal. None of those fish belong in a 55G tank. The Pacu alone with get 2 feet long and eat anything that moves, as you have already seen.

I think it would have made since to say that in your original post. I never new that there was a red belly pacu the picture I posted up looks about 99% the same though.

Your pic was close. Pacu and pirahna are very closely related, but have different jaws. I thought it would make sEnSe to post the link and allow the OP to do a bit of their own research. Just trying to teach someone to fish versus handing them one...

I can see why you got a good deal. None of those fish belong in a 55G tank. The Pacu alone with get 2 feet long and eat anything that moves, as you have already seen.

They where moving and needed it gone...the fish they where going to "get rid of".

DANG!!!!!! The only reason I took the fish was to save them...now I have an issue.

Suggestions?

Buying a HUGE tank for these guys isn't really an option for me. I didn't want to see them thrown into the backyard...but now it seems I just created a problem for myself. :(

Your pic was close. Pacu and pirahna are very closely related, but have different jaws. I thought it would make sEnSe to post the link and allow the OP to do a bit of their own research. Just trying to teach someone to fish versus handing them one...
I was just saying it confused the tar out of me so I figured the OP would really be lost. I can understand that no harm done.Oh and lol at the "sEnSe" I know how to spell it, was an honest typo.
They where moving and needed it gone...the fish they where going to "get rid of".

DANG!!!!!! The only reason I took the fish was to save them...now I have an issue.

Suggestions?

Buying a HUGE tank for these guys isn't really an option for me. I didn't want to see them thrown into the backyard...but now it seems I just created a problem for myself. :(
See if your LFS will take them.

Sorry... I can be a bit confusing at times.

Pitt- I agree with Razor. Talk to your local shops or post on craigslist. It's not a "problem", it's an opportunity to learn and to educate others. ;)

I was just saying it confused the tar out of me so I figured the OP would really be lost. I can understand that no harm done.Oh and lol at the "sEnSe" I know how to spell it, was an honest typo.

See if your LFS will take them.

I thought they looked like them too...but they don't have the scary teeth! :D

I have one LFS...I guess that's where I'm headed then. The whole reason I ended up w/ them was to save them so hopefully they will take them and re-home them to someone w/ the space. I can't really see upgrading to a 200+ g. tank (although it would be sweet!!)

I guess that leads me to a new question...

I've only had them a couple days...should I wait a bit before moving them again? Would it be better to let them relax a little while or move them ASAP?

THANKS EVERYONE!!

And yes, I did get a GREAT deal...basically I'm going to be able to upgrade to a way better stand for free!!!

Finding these guys a proper home is a small price to pay.

Not just a small price.... a good deed. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom