Help me start a new tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Glad to hear it! Once fully cycled, do a large water change the day before you get fish to bring nitrates down (and lower the temp if you've had it raised); if nitrates are really high it may take more than one full water change. Ideally you want nitrates as low as you can get them. Read up on "drip acclimation" as it's the best way to introduce new fish to a tank. Post pics of your fish once you get them. Keep asking questions if you need to. :)

I remember after my fishless cycle a few year back now,i didn't have any nitrtates and to date ive never had any !!!! Odd time maybe a slight trace thats about it but libary girl.is right if you have any nitrates a water change will be in order before getting your fish, and yeah would like to see some pics after getting your fish :)

My nitrates are low too actually. But im thinking about doing a 60% water change anyway and adding ammonia just to make sure both drop to my satisfaction before doing another water change and adding fish. Ive just bought afew others things. A magnifing glass for 20quid,around 30dollars that sucks to the wall. And ive made a beautiful clear feeding ring for one of the corners and thats where ill be putting the magnifing glass. I bought my food also. Some new life spectrum fresh water flake and some sinking pellets. I had to import it from U.S so cost me silly money. I paid 11quid for 90g flake and 9quid for 150g 1mm pellets. I under over estimated how much food i needed, 90g is a huge tub! Im gonna rotate the food with flakes in the morning and pellets at night with a treat each saturday. Ive heard not feeding them one day a week is good for them too is this right?

My tank smells like its cycled anyway. Its got a musky, earthy smell to it. I quite like it lol.

With the fish food. Ive used another 2 little air tight glass tumblers for the flake and pellets and have put the rest in the freezer. How long fish food last in the freezer?

My nitrates are low too actually. But im thinking about doing a 60% water change anyway and adding ammonia just to make sure both drop to my satisfaction before doing another water change and adding fish. Ive just bought afew others things. A magnifing glass for 20quid,around 30dollars that sucks to the wall. And ive made a beautiful clear feeding ring for one of the corners and thats where ill be putting the magnifing glass. I bought my food also. Some new life spectrum fresh water flake and some sinking pellets. I had to import it from U.S so cost me silly money. I paid 11quid for 90g flake and 9quid for 150g 1mm pellets. I under over estimated how much food i needed, 90g is a huge tub! Im gonna rotate the food with flakes in the morning and pellets at night with a treat each saturday. Ive heard not feeding them one day a week is good for them too is this right?

My tank smells like its cycled anyway. Its got a musky, earthy smell to it. I quite like it lol.

With the fish food. Ive used another 2 little air tight glass tumblers for the flake and pellets and have put the rest in the freezer. How long fish food last in the freezer?

So i gather you are in UK,me too.
Its better just to buy small tubs of food as once they are opened they only. Stay fresh for a perios of time,just what ive read over the years,im not sure about freezing flake food,ive never done it,yeah its best to let them fast one day a week,fish can last a while without food,but only do tht if you.are away or something,once a week will help your water,i fast mine on a wednesday cos its half way through the week,easy to remember the day lol.
Forgive for being stupid but whats magnifying and feed ring about ?

Well its a magnifing glass that sucks to the glass. Which allows you to see you fish up close when they swim through it. A feeding ring floats at the top of the tank and forms a barrier stopping the surface water current from pushin and pulling your flake around the tank or into your filter. Its worked out beautifully because if i possition the magnifing glass Next to the ring i be able to get close ups of them feeding.

ForumRunner_20121201_213729.jpg

Well its a magnifing glass that sucks to the glass. Which allows you to see you fish up close when they swim through it. A feeding ring is a ring that floats at the top of the tank and forms a barrier stopping the surface water current from pushin and pulling your flake around the tank and out of your filter. Its worked out beautiful because if i possition the magnifing glass Next to the ring is be able to get close ups of them feeding.

Ahhh right,1st time ive seen one,tanks looking good :)

Right well my nitrites are barely even readable. My question is, if i keep doing what ive been doing for another week to be 100% will it just strengthen the cycle. Or can i miss or mess something up?

You mean testing and dosing ammonia? If so then yes, keep doing that until the day before you add fish. It'll keep the bacteria fed and your biofilter strong.

Im now considering tiger barbs hmm. Anyone got any? My nautral water ph is spot on. People say theese are quite hardy?

molliwopp said:
Im now considering tiger barbs hmm. Anyone got any? My nautral water ph is spot on. People say theese are quite hardy?

I used to keep them. They get bigger than you may think and they can be feisty. Mature ones are gorgeous. Used to have 7 in a 55 with 3 bosemani rainbows, a banjo cat, and a dojo loach. That may outgrow your tank eventually.

I used to keep them. They get bigger than you may think and they can be feisty. Mature ones are gorgeous. Used to have 7 in a 55 with 3 bosemani rainbows, a banjo cat, and a dojo loach. That may outgrow your tank eventually.

Yeah they are a decent size and can be feisty,yes,they can be fin nippers with any fish with long flowing fina,ive always read to get a decent group of more tham six so tht they will keep pecking order among themselves,they are gorgeous though,but they usually need a decent size tank,if i kept any,my tank.is too small i think.i would have a species only tank.just.for them,one day i may even so that,but lovely fish

Grrrr im so anyry. Ive noticed in my tank today a tiny tiny little bug like create obviously came in on one of the plants. So now i need to find out what they are an if they are paracitic. Grrrr.

Theyre tiny, white and can jump and they arenfast considering their size. Im worried about my tank fagile state and any for of playing around would destroy the cycle.

molliwopp said:
Theyre tiny, white and can jump and they arenfast considering their size. Im worried about my tank fagile state and any for of playing around would destroy the cycle.

Hopefully they won't survive the cycle.

Found some snails in there too. I want to know wtf they are!! Arrggghhh. Annoying. Help. Glad i bought a magnifing glass. Ill be able to have a look to work out what they are.

Theoretically if its a bad outcome on what they are. I may have to start again and get rid of the plants ??? Is there anyway to kill them without damanging my bacteria.

Theoretically if its a bad outcome on what they are. I may have to start again and get rid of the plants ??? Is there anyway to kill them without damanging my bacteria.

Hi, you could get some assassin snails they will get rid of the pest snails for you and won't reproduce like crazy or eat your plants. I have a 70litre tank also but I quite like my snails they found there way in on plants as well but don't seem to eat my plants just decaying plant mater and fish food. I purposely added Malaysian trumpet snails which are considered a pest but i find are quite beneficial they are nocturnal and dig through your substrate eating detritus they don't disturb your plants root system either. Their like snail versions of the earthworm haha. Some like them some don't but like I said assassin snails will get rid of any unwanted snails. As for stock I have neons, hengels rasbora (which I love and are very hardy) 2 sparkling gourami, 4 khuli loaches(awesome fish love them), a scarlet badis and some guppies. My tanks a bit overstocked but quite heavily planted and gets 50% water change weekly.

Ok now ive found tiny tiny little worms now. Im so annoyed right now. 3 living creature up2 now!! What else am i going to find! Basicly seals the deal about starting a freah tank argggghhhhhh!! I cant believe this. Everything ive done in the last 4weeks has been wasted. And it could even happen again if i introduce live plants. I could kill someone right now.

Back
Top Bottom