Help me start a new tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok now ive found tiny tiny little worms now. Im so annoyed right now. 3 living creature up2 now!! What else am i going to find! Basicly seals the deal about starting a freah tank argggghhhhhh!! I cant believe this. Everything ive done in the last 4weeks has been wasted. And it could even happen again if i introduce live plants. I could kill someone right now.

No you don't need to start again there will be a better solution. I've had weird bugs and worm things which were planaria in my tank heaps of people get weird little buggies from time to time. Sometimes insects get in and lay there larvae in there aswell which the fish usually just eat. What do these worms look like try and get pictures of them and the other critters so we can work on how to get rid of them :)

Also when you see them siphon them out and just remove them when u see them. Oh and not all of these things are harmful to the fish so don't stress to much it will be resolved

The worm are tiny little white almost clear on the glass. Im just worried they will get out of control. I need to find out more about what the others are too:(

Fingers crossed they can be eaten. If they can be eaten will i be able to keep them under control? Lol my anubias is doing wonderfully and has grown well already.

Ok now ive found tiny tiny little worms now. Im so annoyed right now. 3 living creature up2 now!! What else am i going to find! Basicly seals the deal about starting a freah tank argggghhhhhh!! I cant believe this. Everything ive done in the last 4weeks has been wasted. And it could even happen again if i introduce live plants. I could kill someone right now.

Did you wash the plants before you put them in ? Ive never had worm.things on my plants so i don't know about them :-/ i have had snails which took over my tank a lot,but i didn't mind as my daughters musk turtle eats aquatic snails,thata until my tank crashed into a mini cycle and killed all the snails,i did read about someone finding worms in my practical fishkeeping mag,and i think the people answering the questilons said they were harmless as tank water can contain organisms,but as i say i think thats what they said,have a good look on here or on net before you start again after all this time !!!

Fingers crossed they can be eaten. If they can be eaten will i be able to keep them under control? Lol my anubias is doing wonderfully and has grown well already.

Glad your anubia is doing well,ive just ordered one,to go with my Java Fern,amazon swords,Vallis and indian fern :)

It'll kill off all the bacteria. If you have another tank that you could use to transfer your bio filter media to then you could dose copper and still preserve most of your bacteria. Just run carbon when you're ready to remove the copper, then put the bio media back. You may get a mini cycle but it shouldn't be much if you can do it that way.

Take a breath. :) Snails and other organisms that might have come in on plants are usually harmless. They won't affect your cycle at all. Common snails to find on plants in an aquarium are pond snails or ramshorns. Neither are harmful but they can grow in population fairly quickly if you overfeed the tank. The little white worms could be planaria; again harmless. As long as you don't overfeed when you get fish the population should die down and you can suck them up with water changes.

Ok. Well the chances of some of them getting into my filter media is almost certain so no then:(

Ok well thats the snail and the worm covered. Theres 2 others i still have no idea what they are. One seem like a tiny green blob and the other like a like tiny white beetle/ shimp thing the chimbs the glass. Ill wait for my 6x mag and have a real close look. Some could be baddies

The little white thing on the glass is likely a copepod. Again harmless. What does the green blob do? Is it moving? Is it on plants? It might just be a type of algae.

If non of them are harmful i will punch the air.

My.daughter had loads of white crittery things not worm.like but thats only way i could describe them,she panicked a bit about them so i went on net to have a look i forget what most of it said but people on forums said what Librarygirl said ....most were harmless and they don't bother the Turtle,most of them went after normal tank cleaning duties !!!! So all will be ok don't worry

Right well after reading my water results today. Nitrite 0 amm 0 i did a 90% water change. Cant see a single critter anymore aswell. Im gonna risk it. How long shoukd i wait before addin fish? Let the water filter for afew hours?

Right well after reading my water results today. Nitrite 0 amm 0 i did a 90% water change. Cant see a single critter anymore aswell. Im gonna risk it. How long shoukd i wait before addin fish? Let the water filter for afew hours?

How many readings have you had at ammonia and Nitrite 0ppm ?
Thats a big water change so should dilute any.Nitrates glad you got there you will bw excited for fish now,but don't add too many,not more than 6 at 1st,or maybe less as the filter bacteria will have to catch up,i.think for fully matured it can take up to 6 months or more.
Once fish are in you don't have to .do.huge water changes as it can stress fish 25% to 50% once a week should be fine,if you get any shoaling fish no less than 6 are better,depends what you want really,just to let you know i added 12 stupidly and my tank was well established and it tipped it over

Yep. I read 0 and 0 before doing the water change. And then 00 again after. Yeah ive learnt alot over the last four weeks. How long do i wait now before adding fish? I coukd add them today in theory? Can i freeze my fiah pellets? I know i can with flake?

Yep. I read 0 and 0 before doing the water change. And then 00 again after. Yeah ive learnt alot over the last four weeks. How long do i wait now before adding fish? I coukd add them today in theory? Can i freeze my fiah pellets? I know i can with flake?

Yeah ya cud do and just keep monitoring your water tho esp 1st week make sure its ok,im not sure about freezing dried food ive never done it.
What fish u goin add then ?

Ive added 6 pristella tetra. Lovly little fish, hardy too. Just saw one one those little critters but only for a second... It got munched by one of the tetra lol. I decided against danios they started to get boring when id visit my LFS.

You couldn't have chosen a cuter fish. They're hard to find at the shops around my area. I'd love to see a picture if you could post one.

Back
Top Bottom