Help me stock a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ewolff

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I set up an 18g tank at work and I am looking to add fish to it. It is basically a very tall 10gallon (20x12 ?) tank with an Eclipse hood. Right now it has five Neon Tetras and five Black Neon Tetras.

What I am looking for are small cheap colorful fish to add to it. No barbs, loaches, etc. I have those in my tank at home. I may add a Betta if he will be fine with smaller fish.

Here's a pic (pre fish) to give you an idea of what I am working with

fish.jpg

Hmmm several of the tetra species are colorful. Guppies are colorful too, but either get all males or prepare for tons of guppy fry! Guppies would be the cheapest fish I would imagine. Platies are colorful as well and relatively cheap but be careful of the type of platy, some can get to be 3" or more. Pretty tank btw.

I would think a betta would be fine. Zagz' suggestions sound good, too. Swordtails come in some pretty colorful varieties as well. If it were my tank, I would probably go with a betta or some fancy guppies.

But you could probably use a small cleanup crew. Thought about a snail or a couple of small cories?

How about some form of Tetra, I would recommend Flame Tetras as they are hardy cheap and gorgeous, and Ghost Shrimp for clean up crew.

I love watching Ghost Shrimp they are so comical, they will not reproduce in your tank, and they only cost about 30 cents each. Also if you wanted some more colorful Shrimp take a look at www.azgardens.com they have plenty of examples of colorful shrimp/fish you could consider, though you would probably have to order most from online unless you have a particularly great LFS.

Very pretty tank. I notice there is a bit of an overhang. I would put board under the tank or move it to a larger table. I would hate for you to have a disaster. I like the tetra idea as well. Maybe cherry barbs. You could do a single angel as center piece with some cories.

Here's the current count

5 Neon Tetras
5 Black Neon Tetras
5 Zebra Danios
2 Red Claw Crabs

I am thinking about adding a betta and a few other small fish. Think this will be ok or am I pushing it load wise?

crabs.jpg

That crab might end up eating your tankmates..

I was going to suggest endlers, they are very colourful and they also are easy to get all males.

I agree the crabs may eat the other tankmates. I wouldn't put a betta in with crabs for sure, the long fins would be a irresitable temptation.

So far the crabs have kept to themselves. Since the tank is pretty tall I am hoping they will live in harmony.

Until the tetras sleep on the bottom of the tank... Some species of crayfish are vegetarians, check out aquabid.com for those. Snails will run amok, though the apple snails, aka mystery snails, are divided into m/f, unlike most snails. A single specimen wouldn't reproduce. Stay away from MTS though, a single specimen WILL reproduce.

gorgeous tank, I think you havea good selection of fish already, no betta's with the crabs though, plus betta's don't like tall tanks to begin with, so that might not be a good choice, I think some of the yellow mollies would be nice or a couple fancy guppies IMO

I probably wouldn't add any more fish its pretty well stocked already. An Angel would get to big in a tank that small but if you wanted one more fish what about a male Dwarf Gouramis they are relatively cheap they are $8 around here maybe not there though. Also be sure that the crabs you have do not need access to dry land.
Hope This Helps

Back
Top Bottom