Help me!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joebro3333

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have posted on this forum 3 times with no reply. I have two questions I need help with im setting up two low tech planted tanks one is going to be a 50 gallon thinking some Java fern and Java moss and some really easy and same with my 10 gallon also. I have flora maxx and sand in the 50 split down the middle of sand and flora maxx. I wanted to know if the lights I have on them no would work with the plants I listed I got the top fin set up. With fluorescent bulbs. And I was wonduring what kind of lid and lights would be good for a 10 gallon? With low tech set up also. Need help want to have some more knowledge before I spend a ton of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So I have posted on this forum 3 times with no reply. I have two questions I need help with im setting up two low tech planted tanks one is going to be a 50 gallon thinking some Java fern and Java moss and some really easy and same with my 10 gallon also. I have flora maxx and sand in the 50 split down the middle of sand and flora maxx. I wanted to know if the lights I have on them no would work with the plants I listed I got the top fin set up. With fluorescent bulbs. And I was wonduring what kind of lid and lights would be good for a 10 gallon? With low tech set up also. Need help want to have some more knowledge before I spend a ton of money.

Im sorry, which light setup are you currently running for the 50 gal? As for the 10 gallon tank, the current LED system is a pretty good low light system with a sweet LED controller. Im going with the Finnex Planted+ for my low/medium light 55g tank.

Not too sure I bought the top fin 50, and it came with two 2- 24 inch t5 bulbs? And I don't have anything for the 10 gallon beside the tank and some sand. I was wonduring if you know any good lights for 10?

Not too sure I bought the top fin 50, and it came with two 2- 24 inch t5 bulbs? And I don't have anything for the 10 gallon beside the tank and some sand. I was wonduring if you know any good lights for 10?

Again, look at the link for the 10 gal. The 18in Current LED Light should work ( i dont know the dimensions of your tank). Does the top fin 50 gal box say what the wattage is of the light(s) that came with it?

Is there any cheaper options for a low tech set up? And doesn't say any wattage on it? :/

Is there any cheaper options for a low tech set up? And doesn't say any wattage on it? :/

I wouldn't want to steer you wrong. I really don't have experience with small tank lights. I would try to find a light that has around 6000-7000k.

You could just use the light that came with it and attach LED strips to the underside of the hood. That may work for a cheaper option.

Use that fixture for your tank. It will be good. Just make sure to get some 6500k bulbs for it.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I grow this under my cheap hoodView attachment 262670

View attachment 262671

Hmmmm...this is making me re think about upgrading my light. I have the regular marine land 55g hood, but was thinking about a planted+ from finnex. Maybe i should do the finnex anyways so I can grow some plants that require higher light. Are those all low light plants?

Is this set up you had strictly for high tech planted tank?

Hmmmm...this is making me re think about upgrading my light. I have the regular marine land 55g hood, but was thinking about a planted+ from finnex. Maybe i should do the finnex anyways so I can grow some plants that require higher light. Are those all low light plants?

I can get away with a lot of things in a 10 gallon that you can't get away with in a bigger tank. I grew mostly low light and some that are considered low to medium light. Highlight plants typically don't do great for me. Or if they do grow they won't show much color.

I just haven't felt it necessary to go to CO2 and dry fertilizers. My tanks are very easy and low maintenance. I just have to trim the fast-growing stems every week.

You with the 10- gallon :) so what plants do you have in there and do you fertilize?

Low light. Measured with a PAR meter from my club.

I do fertilize. I use liquid fertilizers since it's a small tank it's affordable for me and easy.

1x weekly
Flourish comprehensive
API LeafZone
Flourish excel ( will switch to glut when this runs out)

Root tabs every 3-4 months or as needed.

25% water change when I had CRS shrimp 2x weekly

50% water change 1x weekly now

Stock:
RCS
CPDs
Threadfin Rainbows
Corydoras habrosus and pygmaeus
Snails MTS, Pond, Ramshorns
Will be adding Otos again

This was my tank at it's best. You can have more tiny fish with less issues. Still don't recommend others stock this heavy. I have a ton of plants.
http://youtu.be/aptmdICahvM

Low light. Measured with a PAR meter from my club.

I do fertilize. I use liquid fertilizers since it's a small tank it's affordable for me and easy.

1x weekly
Flourish comprehensive
API LeafZone
Flourish excel ( will switch to glut when this runs out)

Root tabs every 3-4 months or as needed.

25% water change when I had CRS shrimp 2x weekly

50% water change 1x weekly now

Stock:
RCS
CPDs
Threadfin Rainbows
Corydoras habrosus and pygmaeus
Snails MTS, Pond, Ramshorns
Will be adding Otos again

This was my tank at it's best. You can have more tiny fish with less issues. Still don't recommend others stock this heavy. I have a ton of plants.
http://youtu.be/aptmdICahvM

Omg that's such a nice set. And what plants did you use exactly? Would this work out a little with the light that came with my tank it's a tetra 10 gallon starter kit. What do you think is good for beginners?

Flora:
Crypts several species
Dwarf Chain Swords
Bacopa
Java Fern
Red Tiger Lotus Lily
Ludwigia repens
Mosses several kinds
Amazon Frogbit
Duckweed ( arrgghh )
Myriophyllum mattogrossense
Etc...

Tank is a work in progress

Plants always changing. I get new plants from my club meets every month or two as well.

My rimless 10g from a while back
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422652226.199920.jpg
It was just growing in in this old pic. Tank currently down for rescape

Why so much water change with shrimp? And why such a big one now, 50%? And what stuff do you add weekly liquid wise? Again? And what substrate do you use? :)

Back
Top Bottom