help! my african cichlids are getting ecchymosis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mzzguillory

Aquarium Advice Activist
How can I treat this and stop reaccuurance?
My cichlids have echymosis amd torn up fins and dying off one by one

Are you sure that your cichlids arnt attacking eachother, maybe in the night when the lights go off? Whats your stock?

No they arnt. Its ich plus some white film over bodys and the fins are turning red with blood stains. My fish always got along. I have 2 peacocks, 2 white zebra, 1 red zebra, 1jewel, and 3 yellow labs. I also had 2 acai which were my oldest and biggest and happiest and they just died. Overnight. Im so sad. :( I cleaned tank and started treating them. The white zebra is better but the peacocks have severe ich. So im treating for that now. I just wish I knew what killed my acai and why. It all started when I bought two powder blues and a new jewel.

The three new ones died as soon as I brought them home. And I also had two jahonnis but a few weeks ago they got stuck in a ornament and died and needless to say I threw the ornament away

If their fins and gills are red then its probably ammonia burns. You need to a 50% urgently.
Do you have a test kit?

Ich attacks the gills of the fish first. So if you see ich on the outside of your fish then their gills are most defiantly infected. Second the white film sound like some type of fungus and fin rot. The infection sounds like it's out of hand. I would get a cure all medication and dose by the instructions. Since you've already started with something. If it isn't a cure all throw carbon in your filter and do a huge water change like 80%. And start with the new meds?

Maracyn I and maracyn II used in combination.. For the fungus, which I think needs to be treated first. In the meantime gradually increase temp to 86 degrees F to have the ich cycle faster.

Best advice I could offer to start... Any1?

Back
Top Bottom