Help needed on my cory!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCoolFish

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 3 spotted Cory's with two albino Cory's. I notice this morning that one of my Cory's have a broken limb and only has one barb!

I do have a small empty 1 gallon tank.

Could I use that as a hospital tank?

And if so what do I do for him to recover?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408546916.121679.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408546966.377196.jpg

Don't forget to cycle when you're done!

I hope this helps

The first item to think about is what caused this damage to the cory and how can that be eliminated.

Second, I do not know if barbels grow back but I would keep the tank extra clean to minimize the numbers of infectious agents such as bacteria and fungus. Also keep in mind corys are sensitive to many medications, so I really would not go that route unless absolutely needed.

A side note, I have many corys who were born with deformed limbs and they do fine, they are going on 6 years of age.

Another thought....I see you have gravel from the photo, a corys substrate should be sand as they forage for food shifting through the sand for yummy goodness, that is the purpose of their barbels...shifting.

Well I just got him two days ago and when I put him in his limb was like that. Also I'm thinking about changing the gravel to fine gravel once I get some money.

Also how do you clean sand?

I had a 20g with sand once and it was a PAIN to clean with out stirring it up into the water and I just got rid of it because I could NOT stand it.

But it was a nice look!

It doesn't have to be fine sand! It can be anything smooth. I use a type of sand that is more like tiny pebbles for my cories and they love it! Any rough rocks will damage their barbels.

I use a normal siphon to clean the sand, you just go over the top of the sand, not into the sand. Having corys will help keep it clean.

Also youtube has many great videos on "How To" do anything for your aquarium

Well sad to say my hurt cory got sucked into one of my power heads and was to weak to swim out so he died when i took him off it and he tried to swim

Back
Top Bottom