help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ch-b

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have started my 15 gallon aquarium with a skimmer and internal filter and the pet store said that its good for my aquarium cz a power head its too strong for me i have live rocks do i need a power head?

What kind of "internal filter"? For saltwater, you get most of your filtration from bacteria on rock and sand (biological) and a skimmer (mechanical). Actual filters are not really necessary. You do want enough current to keep stuff (Poop, food, etc ) suspended so that the skimmer can get it. There are small power heads out there that don't push very much water . When there are dead spots , that stuff piles up and causes nitrates. Is this LFS someplace like PetCo or a privately owned shop? Them saying no power heads are necessary is very questionable, IMO, and I would be very careful with future advice from them. Ask here and your advice will probably be better.

Listen to TheTodd! But also, if you could give us links to your equipment or pictures of the setup, that's helpful. It is possible that your internal filter (again, what kind?) provides enough flow to negate the need for a powerhead, but I wouldn't bet on it. There are small ones available that should suffice in a tank that small.

I have a standard 10 gallon tank set up with an HOB API superclean 5-20 filter and a maxijet 400 powerhead. I believe even small tanks need a powerhead for good water flow and filtration :) I don't run a skimmer on mine, I just do weekly water changes and make sure my powerhead is pointed at the surface for good aeration.
Good Luck :)

Back
Top Bottom