Help setting up my new xmas tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StuMcc99

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am getting a new tank for Xmas it's a 125ltr ( I think that's 33g) who long would I leave it to set up for? I have been told a week will do plus I was also told 3days but think that's a bit to sort, I do have a tank at the moment so will be transferring the fish from there in to it.
I was also looking for ideas of what decoration to put in the tank, I tried live plants in the tank I have but the died and made a mess of the tank so don't want to make a mess of this one, I was thinking plastic ones and maybe a big rock or wood to put in it,
The link below is the tank I will be getting

http://www.juwel-aquarium.de/en/Pro.../Rio-125-black.html#!juwel-000000000000001300

Any help or ideas would be great thanks

I was thinking sand but then was told that its harder to keep clean and better for salt water fish, I hadn't thought about slate that could be a good idea thanks

I was thinking sand but then was told that its harder to keep clean and better for salt water fish, I hadn't thought about slate that could be a good idea thanks

Actually sand for me is a lot easier to keep clean because everything just sits on the top and its easy to suck out. Rather than gravel where all the crud can fall deep within the substrate.

Actually sand for me is a lot easier to keep clean because everything just sits on the top and its easy to suck out. Rather than gravel where all the crud can fall deep within the substrate.

Does it not make the tank cloudy?

Does it not make the tank cloudy?

Nope. Just be sure to rinse it out really well before putting it in. It also helps to get a type of sand that isn't really fine, that's why I chose pool filter sand, it's nice and dense and it stays put on the bottom.

Nope. Just be sure to rinse it out really well before putting it in. It also helps to get a type of sand that isn't really fine, that's why I chose pool filter sand, it's nice and dense and it stays put on the bottom.

Ok thanks I think I may have a look in to that

So are you transferring all of your current fish to the larger tank? Does your current tank have a filter? If so you can just move the filter to the larger tank and run it alongside the new filter and then move the fish over. Assuming the current tank is cycled, this will instantly cycle the new tank for the fish you have now.

I have sand and I actually prefer it to gravel. Gravel has a lot of nooks and crannies for waste and stuff to get into. Also sand looks more natural. Most of the waste and food just stays at the top of the sand so you just swish the vacuum over the sand to stir up the gunk and then suck it up. It takes some practice but isn't that hard. Most bottom-feeder fish prefer sand anyway.

So are you transferring all of your current fish to the larger tank? Does your current tank have a filter? If so you can just move the filter to the larger tank and run it alongside the new filter and then move the fish over. Assuming the current tank is cycled, this will instantly cycle the new tank for the fish you have now.

I have sand and I actually prefer it to gravel. Gravel has a lot of nooks and crannies for waste and stuff to get into. Also sand looks more natural. Most of the waste and food just stays at the top of the sand so you just swish the vacuum over the sand to stir up the gunk and then suck it up. It takes some practice but isn't that hard. Most bottom-feeder fish prefer sand anyway.

Yeah I am moving all the fish from the tank that's set up over to the new tank, so when I am moving them over put the other filter in as well?
That does sound better with the sand, I have 3 Khuli loach's so I am sure they will love the sand going under it

Yep, move the other filter over to the new tank (or you can remove the media and add it to the new filter if there's room) and run it with the new filter. Leave it on for at least a month (although keeping it wouldn't hurt; extra filtration is never a bad thing), then you can move the fish over to the new tank right away (it's still a good idea to test the new tank for ammonia, etc for a week or so after you move everything over in case something happens and the tank goes into a bit of a mini-cycle; I don't foresee any issues but better to be safe than sorry).

Remember too (assuming your current tank is cycled) this will only keep the tank cycled for the fish you have now. When you add new fish do it slowly and check daily for any toxin spikes as the bacteria re-adjust to the new load and do extra water changes as needed. I've upgraded tanks this way and never had any problems.

Whatever sand you get rinse the heck out of it. It still might be cloudy for a little while when you add it to the tank but it should settle within a few days.

Last edited:
Just got some bits for the tank, took a pic of they way I was thinking about laying them out when I get the tank.

image-3552560133.jpg

With out the girlfriends make up mirror tho lol
What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom