Help shrimp in filter!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SwimsWithFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
A few minutes ago by the grace of god I randomly decided to clean my filter. When I removed the basket I found a rcs lodged in it. I though it was dead but then it started flapping around so I thee it back in the tank. will it be ok? It immediately ran to its cave.

40 at one time?!?! Woah. They were dead? Mine is still alive he's in his cave. I just put an algae wafer in front of him in case he can't move.

And if he dies and I don't know about it I don't want to get a big ammo. Spike. It's a 10 gallon so it's a sensitive system.

Oh no, they were all alive. Some looked like they were only a few days old. If I didn't find shrimp in my canisters every week, I'd think something was wrong

Haha maybe they smelled food! That's interesting. But the aquaclear is like a vacuum. I don't think he would have made it much longer. I don't even know how he got into the intake...

pic_1.jpg

I've switched to one of those shrimp safe filter inlets ever since I found baby shrimp in my canister (found a few jumping around in my sponges but it was too late for me to save them because they've been out of the water for a few minutes).

I use the fuval edge prefilter on my intakes, they're black so they blend in and are like 3$ at petsmart. They just slide onto your intake.

00youknowit00 said:
I use the fuval edge prefilter on my intakes, they're black so they blend in and are like 3$ at petsmart. They just slide onto your intake.

Cool thanks:)

3 right now but there all going to my shrimp bowl tomorrow so I guess this won't be a problem anymore:D

I recently found two shrimp in my filter, both at different dates. One was alive, thankfully, but the other looked like it was shredded to death. ;_; Is there some kind of DIY cover you can put on? I'm receiving lots of shrimp + babies in a couple days, and am worried. I heard pantyhose is a temporary fix?

And if he dies and I don't know about it I don't want to get a big ammo. Spike. It's a 10 gallon so it's a sensitive system.

they hardly have a bio-load so no ammonia spike unless THEY ALL died....and there were at least 25 dead....even then not so sure......

i've had my whole 10G tiger tank experience 30 dead shrimps with only 3 making it....and no spike.....

Thinking about getting the little fluval one; there's a seller on Amazon with one for like 89 cents. But I heard they tend to reduce the flow/trap a lot of gunk and need rinsing every few days; is this true? Is there a way to help with the flow?

There is usually a guy on aquabid that sells the intake filters for the shrimp tanks and it looks just like the two pictures in this thread

KatieJ said:
Thinking about getting the little fluval one; there's a seller on Amazon with one for like 89 cents. But I heard they tend to reduce the flow/trap a lot of gunk and need rinsing every few days; is this true? Is there a way to help with the flow?

They sure do trap stuff, but unless you have a horribly filthy tank, it won't affect flow. I just take mine off and squeeze them in the water I take out a couple times when I do a pwc and thats plenty. I love mine!

*edit*
When I say I clean them off in the water, it's not like you can see a ton of stuff or anything, it's more out of good measure. But it for sure gets some stuff.

Back
Top Bottom