help; sick flame angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clownfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a new flame angel in a quarentine tank for about a week. Doing fine until this morning, when I noticed something on his fin and tail. Hard to describe, but: It is an irregularly shaped spot that is semi-transparent. It does not look like ick, which I've seen, but more like something growing on it. Could it be a fugus? Parasite? Fin and tail rot? Althought they are not ragged or torn.

I'm at a loss and really want to save my new addition!!

Water quality could also be a factor. I'm having trouble keeping Ammonia levels down in my quarentine tank. Did a part-water change a few minutes ago and am planning another in a few hours, once my new salt mix is stable. Any thoughts on how to keep my ammonia down in this tank is also appreciated.

Pic is going to be difficult for two reasons. !) it's actually fairly difficult to see with the naked eye, so i'm not sure it will show up in a pic. 2) the fish is still moving pretty good so hard to get a clear shot.

After a few days of observation and talking to a number of friends and LFS, I think my Flame has fin/tail rot. He is still in a quarentine tank and I'm treating with Maracyn (sp?). Good news is that he continues to eat well and seems to be swimming okay.

Ammonia levels are down to about .25ppm. This is actually a big reduction, which probably explains his health problems to begin with. I've been doing daily water changes, but my concern now that I'm medicating is if I'm decreasing the effectiveness of the meds by doing water changes????

I'm trying to keep water changes down to 2.5 gallons for the 10 gallon quarentine tank, but I feel like I'm walking this line between keeping ammonia down and meds in the water. Anyone have any suggestions??

Also, any thoughts on why I ran into the Ammonia problem in the first place? HAd a sponge filter going in my main tank for 2 weeks before setting up the quarentine and adding my new purchase.

I've been doing daily water changes, but my concern now that I'm medicating is if I'm decreasing the effectiveness of the meds by doing water changes????

provided you are treating everyday...no. The antibiotics are only active for about a day or so. That is why you have to treat daily. Just make sure you treat after you do the water change.

I'm trying to keep water changes down to 2.5 gallons for the 10 gallon quarentine tank, but I feel like I'm walking this line between keeping ammonia down and meds in the water.

As noted above...there is no line to walk, provided the meds are added after the waterchange.

Also, any thoughts on why I ran into the Ammonia problem in the first place? HAd a sponge filter going in my main tank for 2 weeks before setting up the quarentine and adding my new purchase.

I honestly don't know. I have used the same method many times, and never had a problem. If this had happened to me...I would probably consider running a quarantine tank with a filter running all the time. I prefer to be able to tear it down and sterilize it, but if your going to run into ammonia problems each time...then the choice seems clear to me.

He is no more.

Expensive lesson, unfortunately. About 10 days into quarentine my heater broke during a water change and the temp dropped a lot more than I thought it would, overnight, before I could get a new heater. I think the dramatic temp change was the last straw for the little guy. He lasted about two more days and then died.

By then, he had been subjected to alot of stress. High ammonia-levels at the beginning, which I never truely got under control. Meds for fin and tail rot, dramatic temp change. etc.

I cleaned the Q tank and am running a larger sponge filter in my main tank. Hoping to go shopping for a new fish--probably not another flame yet -- in week or so.

The fustrating thing was the ammonia spikes. still not sure what I did wrong??

Back
Top Bottom