Help Snails!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joostrom

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a ten gallon half moon tank, and I have notice dozens of snails. Not sure what kind of snails. And im wondering will they kill my plants and if so what can I do to minimize them?

I'm no expert, but from what little experience I do have...the normal "hitch hikers" won't hurt the plants...if they aren't overtaking yer tank I don't see what harm they can do (but that may be a newbie assumption)...

I had one show up when I added plants to my 12g fluval and he is still just chillin in the tank, he will eat algae but not really enough to make a difference...

Though keep an eye on how much you are feeding yer fish because from my research (I was in the same boat as you sorta, I saw a snail that I didn't buy and was like wtf) I gave learned that if you over feed you will for sure have a ton of snails...

If they are a decent size, take a pic and someone can prolly ID them and let you know if they are harmful or not tho...but yeah...watch how much you feed...

Ive got two diffrent types of snails in my planted 29, Ramshorn, and malaysian trumpet. I havent had a problem with them hurting any of my plants. You wanna keep a eye out for more then one, cause these suckers multiply like crazy. You can use some lettuce set in your tank to draw them in then freeze em to death, or just squeeze em. More people sould chim in and give you some more tips.

They are not over running my tank yet but there are a load of them plus there is several nests I can see I don't want to destroy them because I just keep putting them in my cichlid tank. Or is that a bad idea?

Attachments

• image-3825607379.jpg
    image-3825607379.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 75
Sorry I hit send too early. They are a nuisance, but haven't eaten any healthy plant matter in my experience. I've never been able to get 100% of them. I've never really tried too hard to get rid of um. They are a good indicator if your over feeding.

Back
Top Bottom