help-soil substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tulip55555

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am researching substrates. I don't want to mineralize my own topsoil. Has anyone used organic potting soil or mix? I would love some PROS and CONS.
I plan on capping it with Fluorite and maybe <1inch pool sand between the soil and fluortie, but not really sure if the sand is necessary. Also, is there anything I should put on the very bottom before the soil, i.e. potash or laterite??

:thanks:

Wow we both have the same questions! I've been wondering this too, if I could mix organic potting soil with Eco-Complete substrate and sand. I'm just concerned about the added chemicals in the potting soil.

I have about 2" of pfs over .5" of miracle gro organic choice in all of my tanks. I am starting to get hair algae in all of them, i dont know if it's because i'm not heavily planted. The plants do thrive and grow pretty fast. I dont know if to tear it down to start a biotope or not.

Alex07-that is exactly the kind of stuff I need to know. thanks.

bruinsbro-I actually decided to go with CFL lighting-cheap and flexible to increase or otherwise adjust output. Now let's see what we can figure out about this dirt situation...

The dirt question is still up for debate if anyone has any input I would appreciate it immensely :)

tulip55555 said:
Alex07-that is exactly the kind of stuff I need to know. thanks.

bruinsbro-I actually decided to go with CFL lighting-cheap and flexible to increase or otherwise adjust output. Now let's see what we can figure out about this dirt situation...

The dirt question is still up for debate if anyone has any input I would appreciate it immensely :)

What else do you want to know?

The whole point of mineralized topsoil is to remove all the organic material. Using a high organic potting soil would be the exct opposite.

The whole point of mineralized topsoil is to remove all the organic material. Using a high organic potting soil would be the exct opposite.

That's true, although after a month or so the organic soil mineralizes in the tank.

As far as the hair algae thing, just because someone has a hair algae issue with their setup doesn't mean that it is solely because of the substrate choice.
Lots of people use the organic potting soil route without any issues at all.

I've read about people having success using Miracle Gro Organic Choice soil. I have yet to try it though.

jetajockey said:
That's true, although after a month or so the organic soil mineralizes in the tank.

As far as the hair algae thing, just because someone has a hair algae issue with their setup doesn't mean that it is solely because of the substrate choice.
Lots of people use the organic potting soil route without any issues at all.

That is correct, if you look at the tanks that have soil they are heavily planted. I dont have too many plants on mine, maybe that is my problem.

Back
Top Bottom