Help! Sponge prefilter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misterpenguin4

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just got an aquaclear 30 that I put a fluval sponge prefilter on it. The sponge prefilter restricts to flow ALOT! The top of the water is starting to get an oily look. Is there any other sponge prefilter I could get that is dark and will not suck up baby shrimp? Its a 10 gallon shrimp tank.

Glad you mentioned this because I bought a 3 pack of sponges for an AC50 and was going to use one for the prefilter. Did not realize baby shrimp would get sucked in.
I saw a DIY prefilter consisting of a water bottle (one of those rectangular ones) and panty hose. Basically you cut out the most of the flat surfaces off the bottle and it acts as a frame for the hosiery. The opening may have to be modified to fit the AC filter intake.
I also ordered a nylon bag to hold ceramic rings (decided to string them up with fishing line instead) so I might use that for a prefilter.

I was thinking about using a pond filter sponge prefilter (it is black and cylindrical); it worked well with guppy fry. I held it up to the AC sponge filter and comparing pore size, they look to be the same.

I havent had any baby shrimp get sucked in. But this one restricts so much flow. I guess I will have to look for a diffrent sponge prefilter that allows more flow.

I havent had any baby shrimp get sucked in. But this one restricts so much flow. I guess I will have to look for a diffrent sponge prefilter that allows more flow.

You might try trimming down the sponge with a sharp pair of scissors. This should reduce the resistance and increase the flow. Also, make sure the hole you made for the intake is adequately sized. If the space is not big enough then the sponge material will get compressed and cause constriction. I used a steak knife. Have not performed any tests for water flow yet.

Okay, Ill try to cut it down a little when I get home. If you find another one online that you think would work better let me know. Thanks!

Igot home, trimmed the inside of it so its thinner and BOOM! This thing is pumping out water quick! Thats so much for the help! Now all I need to do is try to do that finnex fugeray mount you made.

Igot home, trimmed the inside of it so its thinner and BOOM! This thing is pumping out water quick! Thats so much for the help! Now all I need to do is try to do that finnex fugeray mount you made.

Awesome. Now go do your homework! JK
I know, its Friday.

I still have extra PVC and the table saw is set to cut a 1 cm...I can cut, trim and mail the rails to you if you want. PM me.

You have to make sure that the prefilter itself has a tube within it. You'll then mount that tube on to the Aquaclear tube. Otherwise, with time the prefilter will collapse on itself.

David

I put the AC prefilter on the intake tube and against the black background it sticks out like a neon sign. Ugh. I think I will switch to the black sponge instead.

I put the AC prefilter on the intake tube and against the black background it sticks out like a neon sign. Ugh. I think I will switch to the black sponge instead.

Yea the fluval sponge prefilter works great, you just need to sting scissors in there and thin the sponge out a little bit.

Yea the fluval sponge prefilter works great, you just need to sting scissors in there and thin the sponge out a little bit.

Check out the pic in my profile in the shrimp tank. I have exceeded my image quota. I am on a mobile device so pasting links is a bit of a challenge.

Check out the pic in my profile in the shrimp tank. I have exceeded my image quota. I am on a mobile device so pasting links is a bit of a challenge.

Oh wow, that does really stick out! I also filled my quota but I use the photobucket app and its pretty easy. Also pm sent.

Oh wow, that does really stick out! I also filled my quota but I use the photobucket app and its pretty easy. Also pm sent.

Okay, as a form of payment, some quick tips on using photobucket (setting up and maintaining an account) and linking images to this site.

First get the app

img_2471703_0_b9b65c89efb89e785393b32391613663.png

Then make an account and go to upload.

img_2471703_1_38391ff8d972e97f42a63a5ba0f80f59.png

After you have uploaded your pic(s) pick the one you want and click the "i"

img_2471703_2_93d01a55e75030b37249fb5de4f93300.png

Then tap on the IMG link and it will copy it and then just paste on the actual reply, not image link

img_2471703_3_8d9a1a7466b5eb437a6cc1824ab47a00.png

Hope I explained it well lol.

Thank you! Explained it well.
Like the time my son had to explain how PayPal and green dot cards work. Geezing.
Did not get to the rails today...yard work and pre-mothers day stuff. Was thinking about doing it now but running a table saw after 11 PM EST might not go over well with the neighbors :(

Thank you! Explained it well.
Like the time my son had to explain how PayPal and green dot cards work. Geezing.
Did not get to the rails today...yard work and pre-mothers day stuff. Was thinking about doing it now but running a table saw after 11 PM EST might not go over well with the neighbors :(

No problem, Do it whenever is most convenient for you!

You have to make sure that the prefilter itself has a tube within it. You'll then mount that tube on to the Aquaclear tube. Otherwise, with time the prefilter will collapse on itself.

David

You called it. This is exactly what happened. The filter slowly got more and more sucked in and mow its suck up to the filter intake making flow slow again. Ugh!!! Is there any sponge prefilter that would not slow flow or let baby shrimp through?

Just made fixed it. It was sucking in like said before restricting the flow again so I took a bottle cap from a 2 liter and cut out the top. So its pretty much a plastic "O". Wasn't easy but when I eventually got it done I just wedged it in where it was collapsing and then put it back on the filter. Works great now. Im going to watch it to make sure it works but so far so good! I wish I would have taken pics.

Back
Top Bottom