help the snails are invading

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suzieluvspets

Aquarium Advice Newbie
my tank is being invaded by snails, there munt be at least 50-60 tiny snails in my 10/gal tank. i think they came from some live plants i bought, because they were'nt here before. is this unhealthy or ok. how do i get rid of them and do i need too. thanks suzie

Manual removal is a good way to go. Get out as much as you can by hand. After that, gather the stragglers using the lettuce method. (Drop in a piece of lettuce at night, and remove in the morning. It should be full of snails). The eggs will be hard to get rid of.

I do not keep the zebra loach, but I think that at an adult length of 4 inches each, they would easily outgrow a 10 gallon tank.

You will want to get rid of them. In addition to being unsightly (IMO), they produce alot of waste.

I have 2 of them myself, had them for 6 months. They are still under an inch and a half. They grow kind of slow, but have quite the character.

I have had much success in removing snails by the use of leaf lettuce. Yep, thats SALAD :p put a leaf in the bottom of your tank at bed-time, use a small rock or some such to hold it down.

I have found the snails will converge on the leaf to feed, like junkies at a crack house. In the morning, simply remove the leaf, and discard, then squash any errant snails you see as you go by during the day. (repeat as long as necessary)

aside that, I dont really mind having snails in my tanks, loaches are an option, but as previously suggested please keep in mind the mature size of the species.

Be wary of copper sulfate based products (had a snail etc) they are *very* hard on your plants and fish and will kill any invertibrates in your tank that you *do* want to keep.

imho, if you dont want snails, prevention is the best cure. Use common sense when buying plants from your LFS! Assume they have snails, check the plants thoroughly before purchasing them, look at the underside of leaves etc. Select a specimen that appears to be both healthy and snail free. Once you bring plants home, dont immediately put them into your tank, take each plant, trim any damaged or dead foliage, and check all of the leaves for snails or snail eggs (do a search to see what they look like). Physically remove any that you can see, then give your plants a thorough rinse with clean water(i just use tap water).

What I do next, is place the plants into a quarantine bucket for a day or two, give any snails that you missed a chance to get out of hiding and not into your tank. (yes this is hard on your plants but is worth not having snails.)

Then plant as you would normally.

I hope that helps, if anyone else has any other ideas, lets hear em, also is there a FAQ we can check for things like this?[/b]

Back
Top Bottom