Help! White film on Blackmoor super sick!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kennyismyfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there,

We have a very sick Blackmoor.

We have just moved him into a new tank out of his old - as he was getting sicker and sicker in the old tank but water parameters were fine.

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

Black moor, white film that was just behind his eyes now on body

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

Amonia - 0ppm, PH 7.8, nitrites .25ppm

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

Tank is 130 L, set up for 1.5 weeks - I know it has not fully cycled but we are desperate - he is so sick and needed fresh water

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

Hang on filter

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

Just 1, Kenny.

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

As mentioned, brand new tank

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

I’ve had Kenny for a year

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

We added new gravel to his old tank, in the tank he has been in now for just 20mins - everything is new.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

Goldfish granule.

I am hoping for a disagnosis - I will be keeping a close eye on all water parameters, as we will now need to switch to a fish in cycle.

Attachments

• ACE00E8F-5574-4A73-8EA7-E47F6CCA3500.jpg
    ACE00E8F-5574-4A73-8EA7-E47F6CCA3500.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 90
  • A9567B01-7CDF-464D-AFF1-1C9A6211FD71.jpg
    A9567B01-7CDF-464D-AFF1-1C9A6211FD71.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 1,755
  • DEF19A80-61BA-469E-BCB9-629B813380A7.jpg
    DEF19A80-61BA-469E-BCB9-629B813380A7.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 109
Is he: lethargic, breathing rapidly, scratching on things, and/or not eating?
I'm looking at the pictures and my mind immediately went to velvet. Hopefully I'm wrong and someone else knows exactly what it is.
For now just make sure he is quarantined so others dont get sick. Keep up with the water quality as well.

Thank you SaraB

Hi Sara,

He was lathargic before tank transfer now he is up and moving - exploring the new tank and nibbling plants.

He has been eating normally.

Upon the first 30 mins in new tank he was just on the bottom but now we is acting normally.

We are only 2 hours into his new tank. Condition still looks the same - hoping he has a good night and we wake up and he is looking improved.

How do we treat velvet - any other diagnosis? Could it be chemical burns? Should we rule out fungal?

Fungal infections would look more fuzzy. Ammonia burns would look black on goldfish.
It could be hyperactivity of your goldfish slimecoat. Apparently it ca happen in response to parasites or poor water conditions. If everything else is testing fine then make sure your ph isn't fluctuating too much.

Hello, I've never had to deal w/this disease myself but if this is velvet they say that if you shine a light on the fish it will look like gold dust....
I found this. Hope this helps!Screenshot_2019-07-23-18-49-12.jpeg

Looks like columnaris. Hard one to affectively treat with success. I have heard you mix Kanaplex and Metroplex and the combination of the two has been found to be affective in treating columnaris.

Back
Top Bottom