Help with 100 gallon stocking list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fishfreak1 said:
A chainlink eel doesn't eat fish 99.9% of the time and doesn't eat live inverts 75% of the time

Ok, read this link:

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/marine/eels/chainlink.php

You are feeding it live fish and meaty foods. Because eels don't have great eyesight as is, and they are predators, he won't discern from that or fish in the tank. When he is hungry, if its not feeding time, he will look for food. It's up to you however I really think that if you choose to get him, you need to stick with predator fish.

If I keep the eel then i won't keep inverts, instead 2 algae eating fish and maybe a fish that eats pests (ex: hogfish)

Ben compton - 2004-05-17
Chainlink eels are one of my favoite marine pets! Its fun to feed them and its fun to watch them swim at night!They are SUPER agressive when they are in a feeding frenzy!!They do give a painful bite when they are adults but when young there bites arent very painful at all.Have lots of caves for this creature(places to hide). They will out grow a 55gal tank,but they are not fast growing.I had mine for 5 months and is the same size when i bought it(it grown a 1/2in).Chainlink eels are very peaceful when during the day and dont bother fish,unless VERY hungry!This fish is worth every penny!

Charlie Roche - 2011-11-24
OK what do you mean they are peaceful unless they are very hungry? That includes a whole lot of people, animals etc. Bite?

I had a snowflake eel when I first started my tank. I also had nemo. Nothing like you're little kids watching nemo get swallowed during feeding time. Not good times.

Fishfreak1 said:
I said on page 2 that the eel might not be in there long, just experimental if he eats anything he is going back to the lfs.

Do this...post on the forum "does anyone have a chainlink eel" and have someone who actually owns one or has owned one tell you what they think. We can all do research but an actual owner can give you first hand knowledge and if they tell you that it's a "No Go", I personally would take their advice. If they say "sure", you can try it.

Jaketit said:
I had a snowflake eel when I first started my tank. I also had nemo. Nothing like you're little kids watching nemo get swallowed during feeding time. Not good times.

OMG! LOL! I don't mean to laugh because that's terrible! Wow! You keep the eel?

I just found someone with a chainlink eel so I sent a private message they're offline so I have to wait a little

Actually I put him in a quarantine tank. Until he jumped out and dried out. The kids called it the timeout tank.

Jaketit said:
Actually I put him in a quarantine tank. Until he jumped out and dried out. The kids called it the timeout tank.

Haha! They are little escape artists!!

Hey. So what are you down too on the stocking list? I read about the eels and lionfish and they are right. I also saw you mention the engineer goby. These guys are awesome! Especially when. They become adult. Very friendly and very 'eel like'

As far as pest eating fish I'd go with a wrasse or dottyback. Great hunters for bristle worms and what not.

First of all yes I am taking people's advice but not everything. I am going to do 15 or 16 fish 10 inverts and might skip the eel so don't say I don't take advice

I'm still planning but definitely fox face clown blue tang. The rest I don't know. Or I may do a predator tank with the eel or a eel only tank. Really don't know about the eel yet I sent someone a private message about it because I know they have one and I want to find out how it's going with it

If I do a nemo/ nonaggressive tank I want the fish to be really colorful any recommendations other than fox face clown tang?

Back
Top Bottom