Help with 100 gallon stocking list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Khij159753 said:
Blue tang will get to bug. Yellow tang would work

A blue tang can get to 12 inches and typically 75-100 gallons is a minimum (this is debatable depending on who you ask...personally I think 100 gallons to be minimum) to keep one in however these guys like to really swim so obviously a longer 100 gallon would be better than a taller.

Your biggest issue's with keeping a healthy tang are meeting feeding requirements (adults are omnivorous) as they are hefty eaters and like to graze all day, ensuring its not been exposed to parasites (this means you need to QT EVERYTHING THAT GOES IN INCLUDING THE TANG ITSELF), space requirement, and lateral line erosion. They DO react to poor water quality so that means you need a stable tank. I've never put 20 fish that were 5 inches each together so I'm not sure as to how stressed he will be. They get stressed pretty easy. Not as easy as the powder blue but that's just my experience.

Fishfreak1 said:
If I do a nemo/ nonaggressive tank I want the fish to be really colorful any recommendations other than fox face clown tang?

How about this:

Blue tang or kole tang (I'd wait on him though and think about it)
Two snowflake, black and white, or percula clowns
swallowtail angel (gets to be 7 inches and is reef safe)
Fire hawkfish (love these guys!)
Clown goby
Leopard wrasse (maybe...depends on if you like wrasse)
Some schooling fish like chromis or cardinals (these come in different colors)

Hmmm...look up "reef safe" fish and see what you can come up with. I'm sure there are a ton!

I found a lawn mower Blenny looks like a lionfish so I might get it

Folks - lots of good advice in the thread, but let's just make sure we keep the tone positive and leave personal attacks out of the posts. Thanks!

Fishfreak1 said:
I found a lawn mower Blenny looks like a lionfish so I might get it

Oh cool! What kind of Blenny? I've had a lion, love them but I can't have another with the fish I have now.

nikki_kaiser said:
Oh cool! What kind of Blenny? I've had a lion, love them but I can't have another with the fish I have now.

Well..and the fact that the tank I have now is less than 1/3 of what I had before...I really need to get an engineer to come test my flooring! LOL!

It's called a lawnmower Blenny, algae Blenny, jeweled Blenny, or jeweled rockskipper those are his common names but he kin of looks like a lionfish except not poisonous and doesn't have the really long spikes and he is not really red other than that he looks just like a lion

Great fish and good at eating hair algae note the name 'lawnmower' blenny. They don't look like a lionfish at all. There are other cool blennys out there too. I had a bicolor one it wad half yellow and half black with blue eyes and crazy eyelashes. Very comical fish. If you want memo and friends this is a great choice. They are very peaceful.

Lawn mower blenny are cool looking!! I have a starry blenny. Blennies would be great in your tank!! Very peaceful and have personalities.

Guys quick question on shrimps. What shrimp gets rid and eats pests? Also if I don't quarantine a fish with a pest will the shrimp take care of it?

Or is it a hogfish that eats pests and the shrimp just cleans the fish.

Closest to an eel that ill get Is an engineer goby

Last edited by a moderator:
Fishfreak1 said:
Guys quick question on shrimps. What shrimp gets rid and eats pests? Also if I don't quarantine a fish with a pest will the shrimp take care of it?

If you can QT everything. Fish and shrimp are more of a defense, not a cure. But cleaner shrimp eat parasites and other things off of fish and peppermints will eat aptasia.

Scarlet cleaner shrimp. Totally awesome. Mine cleans my hand when its in the tank. There is also a wrasse called the cleaner wrasse that is really cool but needs a big tank with alot of other fish. I think it feeds primarily off of these. Expert ONLY! I don't telly on my shrimp to clean parasites and stuff off new fish though but it helps. IMO that goby is awesome and since you really like the eels would go with it. I don't know how try are with inverts though.

Cleaner wrasse is a fish that IMO belongs in the wild. The vast majority of specimens die in captivity anyway, but more importantly, these animals provide a vital service to other fish on the reef. They just really shouldn't even be collected IMO.

Yea I've read that before somewhere too. Stick with the cleaner shrimp. They ate awesome anyways.

Fishfreak1 said:

Or is it a hogfish that eats pests and the shrimp just cleans the fish.

Closest to an eel that ill get Is an engineer goby

QT your fish before adding them so you have no pests. If you have saltwater fish then you know that once your tank gets Ich the only way to remove it is to take all the fish out, treat them, and let the tank run fishless until the ich lifecycle runs its course.

In addition, if you put a fish in with any disease or parasite, you've exposed all your fish as most parasites have a free swimming stage and fungus is contagious as well. It would suck to spend all this money and time on these fish just lose them all.

The place I want to order from quarantines the fish and then ships them do you think I still should quarantine?

Yes! Because the reason fish get diseases is being stressed. Shipping or transferring tanks is a huge stress for fish! Plus they coul be lying to get you to buy from them instead of everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom