Help with a dinosaur bichir!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mzechini

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all,
I have a dinosaur bichir that I got from my boyfriend yesterday. I set up his tank today around 1pm, so about nine hours ago. I know that the tank has to settle for at least 24 hours, but right now the bichir is in a small tank (about a gallon, if that). It was the only thing we had to put him in while the tank was getting ready. I leave tomorrow morning for the beach around 7am (my mom will be taking care of him while I'm gone). I was hoping to put him in his big tank before I leave in the morning, so I can make sure he gets in there okay. Will that be TOO soon? He's not straight from the pet store, my boyfriend has had him for three months and I know he's a tough fish, but I don't want to take any chances. However, I just feel so awful that he is in that small tank. I don't want to add any stress to this poor guy. Any help??

I do have a 2.5 gallon tank with a goldfish in it, who I know the bichir won't eat, but I am worried that he will nip at it's fins and I don't want that. Like I said, I just feel awful that the bichir is in such a small tank! Help!

Welcome to AA!
A few problems. Leaving the fish in one gallon of water will cause ammonia to rise quickly. It would be way better off being in the larger tank. What size it the larger tank? I'm assuming you don't know about cycling?
Please read this:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/archives/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/
Unfortunately 2.5g is too small for your goldfish. Depending what kind he is he will need a 20g up to a 50g tank minimum.
If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Add him to the tank. I have never heard of a 24 hour rule, but try adapt him to the temp and water conditions of the long term tank. Should be fine. If the 1 gallon isn't sealed or covered, he could jump and then dry out:( just a heads up.

Yeah, found out the hard way he will jump out...thanks for the advice! I'm going to go put him in the bigger tank at the moment. Thanks! Also, should I transfer him into his real tank tomorrow morning? Could I do that?

I did, thank you! I just put him in his tank and he seems happy :)

He would be :) Now you will need a test kit like the one mentioned in the article. You are going to have to do a fish in cycle. It involves daily testing and water changes for 4-8 weeks until the tank cycles.

Back
Top Bottom