Help with a red tailed shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mb102593

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, I'm fairly new to this hobby but I feel that I've learned so much already. I have a 30g tank that has been successfully setup wit fish for about 5-6 months. I have 4 tiger barbs, 4 zebra danios, a red tailed shark, and 1 swordtail. Now that may be overstocked for a 30g but I've had no deaths and they all get along/healthy. The RTS however is getting older and a lot bigger. He chases fish but not all of the time. I feel that it's just going to get worse due to needing a bigger tank. I would like to give him away but he grew on me haha, any ideas on what to do with it?(give it away, keep it and add more plants on the bottom) Thanks ! Also I'm going to upload pictures on my page showing the tank and the shark:thanks:

The red tail shark requires a minimum of 55 gallons at maturity but I would recommend 75 gallons.

Consider yourself lucky you haven't had any deaths yet. My shark ate my entire school of danios. I rehomed him to someone with 125 gallon tank to give him lots of space.

Where do you think I should consider giving the shark to ? I only have one local petshop around that I know of, and I hope the shark would still be healthy

LyndaB said:
The red tail shark requires a minimum of 55 gallons at maturity but I would recommend 75 gallons.

Consider yourself lucky you haven't had any deaths yet. My shark ate my entire school of danios. I rehomed him to someone with 125 gallon tank to give him lots of space.

Right on target.

Unfortunately the only options you have are to get a 75+ tank, or to rehome it to someone else..

Depending on where you live, you could try craigslist.org or freecycle.org. Perhaps a local fish club. Chain stores can't take him but a mom & pop lfs could.

If you're willing to ship you could put an add up on here in the classifieds, you'd have a decent chance of someone wanting it.

Thanks everyone for your input, I appreciate it. I'm thinking about trying to give it to the 1 local pet store by my house, what do I even put the fish in to bring it in ?

Call them first before you show up with the fish in a bag. It's not good to stress the fish unnecessarily.

I keep fish bags from when I purchase fish. You can also use a large ziplock baggie.

Back
Top Bottom