help with cycle please!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herbzIOW

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am cycling an 80 litre tank with danios and loads of plants. It has been set up for 2 and a half weeks. I am at the stage where the nitrite has spiked off the charts and has now settled down to zero, isn't this when the cycle is done? As my amonia reads 0.25ppm. I should state, I have not done any water changes as I heard this slows down the process, also the fish are still healthy. Thanks

I am cycling an 80 litre tank with danios and loads of plants. It has been set up for 2 and a half weeks. I am at the stage where the nitrite has spiked off the charts and has now settled down to zero, isn't this when the cycle is done? As my amonia reads 0.25ppm. I should state, I have not done any water changes as I heard this slows down the process, also the fish are still healthy. Thanks

I am sorry that you been mis-informed but if you are doing fish-in cycling..you must do water changes or your fish will be affected

The fish are perfectly healthy and the reason there is so many plants. Its called a silent cycle. As long as they stay healthy I will hold off on the water changes so as not to slow down the process. All I wanted to know is why the ammonia is at 0.25 when the nitrite has spiked and gone down to, and stayed at 0. Thanks

The fish are perfectly healthy and the reason there is so many plants. Its called a silent cycle. As long as they stay healthy I will hold off on the water changes so as not to slow down the process. All I wanted to know is why the ammonia is at 0.25 when the nitrite has spiked and gone down to, and stayed at 0. Thanks

Okay...have you test your water source? may contain ammo..
Also, I did the exact same silent cycle with my 20H and for the health of your fish and plants PWC are still good especially when ammo/trites are high they do not interrupt the cycling process....

No I havent tested the tap water, I shall do soon. Although my other 4 tanks all read 0 on ammonia? I shall start partial water changes tomorrow. Thanks

No I havent tested the tap water, I shall do soon. Although my other 4 tanks all read 0 on ammonia? I shall start partial water changes tomorrow. Thanks

Your welcome...also your other tanks may have enough bb to rid the ammo and this tank is trying to develop enough bb...someone else can chime in if I am incorrect

Just tested, my tap water reads 0.25 for ammonia. Therefore, with the nitrites spiking and settling to zero, does this mean I am cycled, or should I wait until the ammonia completely dissapears?

Back
Top Bottom