Help With Finding a Fish For 1 Gallon Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any suggestions on a quick tank cycling possibilities? I have a new 10 gallon (yes I purchased another tank already haha) I am building the decor landscape as I write this, also debating on the types of fish options I have since I'm thinking of trying a small community tank, so please I'm open to any & all suggestions & help as always! :)

Might want to look into "nano" fish. They are really small and typically have a lower bio load so you can have more!

Any suggestions on a quick tank cycling possibilities? I have a new 10 gallon (yes I purchased another tank already haha) I am building the decor landscape as I write this, also debating on the types of fish options I have since I'm thinking of trying a small community tank, so please I'm open to any & all suggestions & help as always! :)

Bravo! I knew it wouldn't take long! :)

A few good fish:
Neon tetras (stay away from cardinal tetras)
Dwarf Gourami
Harlequin Rasbora

Are a few great choices for a tank that size.

Ghost shrimp or red cherry shrimp would also be a good addition along with them.

Haha thank you! I got my room mate to get a tank too so our apartment is looking quite nice right now! :) He purchased a dwarf Gourami & 2 mollies. His tank had already cycled through though.
I'm thinking tetras or mollies myself. Not too sure yet but I was able to snag some gravel from a friends tank & a panty hose that I have placed in the filter already. I bought some more decor & live plant for the new 10 gallon tank as well.
Hoping this is going to be exciting! :)
Now I'm the proud owner of 2 tanks!

Haha thank you! I got my room mate to get a tank too so our apartment is looking quite nice right now! :) He purchased a dwarf Gourami & 2 mollies. His tank had already cycled through though.
I'm thinking tetras or mollies myself. Not too sure yet but I was able to snag some gravel from a friends tank & a panty hose that I have placed in the filter already. I bought some more decor & live plant for the new 10 gallon tank as well.
Hoping this is going to be exciting! :)
Now I'm the proud owner of 2 tanks!

Mollies sadly need a 30g+ tank as they get pretty big.

How big would you say they get? Is plattys a good buy for something fitting for a 10 gallon? I like the colors of plattys & tetras a lot! :)

How big would you say they get? Is plattys a good buy for something fitting for a 10 gallon? I like the colors of plattys & tetras a lot! :)

Mollies get to be 4" - 6" long depending on the type. Platys however are good choices and like I mentioned before Neon tetras are a very popular choice for a 10g.

Most platties are okay... Some people will say it's okay, some will say you need a 20. Just make sure to get your male to female ratio correct. I really think you would enjoy guppies. I would get a couple male guppies.

Okay so all male guppies would be okay or would you recommend 1 male guppy to every 2 females?
Also, if possible that is, could you give me a scenario of some type of fish selection you would do for stocking a 10 gallon as if it was your own? Tetras, guppies, platies, etc.
I will also be purchasing a master API test kit here in the next day or two so I can properly monitor my levels & keep everything in check.

I think guppies are a better fit as well. Go look around at an lfs and you will see their are some with amazing color out there. I would do a stocking of males and females for fry or just all males for color.

2- male guppies : 4 females/ or 6 males
7- ghost shrimp

Or you could do
1- male/ 2 females or 3 males
7-ghost shrimp
6- neon tetras

Also make sure you cycle this tank before adding anything:).

I think guppies are a better fit as well. Go look around at an lfs and you will see their are some with amazing color out there. I would do a stocking of males and females for fry or just all males for color. 2- male guppies : 4 females/ or 6 males 7- ghost shrimp Or you could do 1- male/ 2 females or 3 males 7-ghost shrimp 6- neon tetras Also make sure you cycle this tank before adding anything:).

Awesome! And yes I'm currently cycling the tank now, day 2, waiting on my api test kit to monitor the readings accurately.
Don't want to do the fish-in cycle like I'm currently doing with my betta, but he seems to be doing great! Thanks to all the help on here anyways haha

No problem. Just keep up with those water changes on your betta tank and you will be fine!

Guppies are great fish and I used to love them. However they got really annoying to watch in a tank when compared to my schoolers that I've been buying recently. They tend to bring a lot of chaos to the tank with their mating habits and it just wasn't what I was looking for in a tank.

If it were me personally I would do:

1 Betta OR Dwarf Gourami
6 harlequin rasboras OR Neon Tetras
4 Cory cats
Ghost shrimp OR Red Cherry shrimp
2 - 3 nerite snails

Go with a betta or gourami that contrasts the color of the rasboras or tetras. My 10g tank is stocked just like this with a betta and cardinal tetras (Which I wouldn't suggest due to difficulty level) and it has been a very very nice tank to have.

It's a bit overstocked but it will give you good activity all over the tank.

Okay so all male guppies would be okay or would you recommend 1 male guppy to every 2 females?
Also, if possible that is, could you give me a scenario of some type of fish selection you would do for stocking a 10 gallon as if it was your own? Tetras, guppies, platies, etc.
I will also be purchasing a master API test kit here in the next day or two so I can properly monitor my levels & keep everything in check.

If it were my 10 gallon I would do 10 chilli rasbora and 3ish scarlet badis with shrimp and snails.

Guppies are great fish and I used to love them. However they got really annoying to watch in a tank when compared to my schoolers that I've been buying recently. They tend to bring a lot of chaos to the tank with their mating habits and it just wasn't what I was looking for in a tank.

If it were me personally I would do:

1 Betta OR Dwarf Gourami
6 harlequin rasboras OR Neon Tetras
4 Cory cats
Ghost shrimp OR Red Cherry shrimp
2 - 3 nerite snails

Go with a betta or gourami that contrasts the color of the rasboras or tetras. My 10g tank is stocked just like this with a betta and cardinal tetras (Which I wouldn't suggest due to difficulty level) and it has been a very very nice tank to have.

It's a bit overstocked but it will give you good activity all over the tank.

I would ditch the cory cats. I would either keep the betta or gourami. I would choose a gourami since you already have a betta. Then I would do either the school of tetras and shrimp/ snails or cory cats and shrimp/ snails not both.

I personally would go with the harlequin rasboras. I think I suggest them to EVERYONE haha I absolutely love them and they color up very nicely once you get them in your tank.

I have been on google looking at all your suggestions haha :) My girlfriend & I would like to have as many as possible, basically a small fish community, of bright active fish. Not super tiny but obviously not super big because of the tank size. Also, fish that have a low bio-load.
Also one more question, in regards to my room mates tank, what would the bio-load be on that 10 gallon tank?

This is the stock:
-1 dwarf gourami
-1 silver molly
-2 reg wag platty
-1 dalmatian molly

Here is a picture of the tank a well if helps any.

Attachments

• image-1605723265.jpg
    image-1605723265.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 62
Back
Top Bottom