help with identifying this fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brendokay

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got a dozen of these guys as part of an experiment to get rid of some of these strange freshwater pod-type species (you can check my previous postings if you're curious).

The store was selling them as feeder fish.. most of them died except for these two, who are now growing huge very quickly! They're incredibly fast swimmers too. They're currently about 1.5 inches long. I'm worried they might need a larger tank. Right now they're only in a 15 gallon tank. I would love to keep them but I need to know what they are so I can make sure they're comfortable.

http://i38.tinypic.com/30wa1ci.jpg

Any ideas? Thanks!

That looks like a flathead minnow to me....which is in the carp family. It is a bait fish, which would make since that you got it as a feeder fish. They grow to be about 4 inches. They don't gain much by way of colour and are pretty tolerant of many water conditions. My friends father raises these for his bait shop. They like cool water and they will eat almost anything, is all I know. :p

If you don't to keep em...I am sure you could take it back to the petstore or even release it. They are common fish in north american rivers and lakes.

But be sure before releasing it that it is safe. You can call your local wildlife service and check.

I have no desire to release them! They're plain looking but very cute. And I love seeing them disappear from one and of the tank and show up on the other. They're way too fast for my crayfish to even try to snatch at them, she totally ignores them even when they swim right in her face. Any chance they'd like some friends?

well....they will get fairly large...4 inches or so. You would need a much bigger tank for them. They will quickly outgrow your 15g. Truthfully, any collection of fish should be able to keep your buggy population under control, problem is which ones won't become lunch for your crayfish :p.

You might have to consider getting a bigger tank if you want to keep them or...exchanging them for fish that won't get so big and are still speedy.

I am not sure which fish are compatible with crayfish. Would have to do some research.

In the meantime...do you agree that you guys look like this?

Fathead Minnow

They don't have the stripe running along their body - they have one spot behind the eye and another at the base of the tail fin. Their bodies are also much shorter than the minnow's. their top fins make a sharp point, the minnow seems to have a rounded fin tip.

They don't have the stripe running along their body - they have one spot behind the eye and another at the base of the tail fin. Their bodies are also much shorter than the minnow's. their top fins make a sharp point, the minnow seems to have a rounded fin tip.

Hrm I see what you mean. The fins are more pointy.

But there seems like a line through the body. Is is greysish? blueish? the picture makes it hard to tell. I will try to do some research :D

Sorry, but I don't think the picture of the fish the asked has shown looks anything like the Fat Head Minnow!

Maybe it's this:
http://www.petsolutions.com/images/200/40020.jpg
a Head and Tail Light Tetra
-That's just my guess.

Again, no affence to you Kaiofcanada, you have been very helpful with answering my questions, but I don't see any resemblance with the minnow.

P.S: Even if fish are fast moving, when they lay down near the bottom to sleep at night, that's often a chance for Crayfish to attack. This fish will be pretty stressed living with your crayfish!
Also, if it is a Tetra, they need to be in groups of at least 6-8, which your 15g is too small for.
So in the best interest of your fish, it's best to return it.
sorry.

Haha...no offense taken. I agree with you after looking at the fins to be honest.

It is definitely not a tail light tetra though. They are small (max 2in) and would definitely not be in the feeder section.

My guess is that it is either a barb or a shiner. Both belong to the same species family of Cypinidae. It is a large diverse family.

But because of the two spots, one at the tail and one behind the eyes....and also because of the shape of the fins...I am guessing barb or shiner.

To be honest, I think you fish is a juvenile and doesn't quite have all of its mature markings. Unless someone has experience to know what it is, it is hard to guess what it could be as a juvenile. This is true for alot of fish. They don't get all there colour and markings right away. we may have to watch this one for a bit, unless someone chimes in.

Well he did say that his fish is only 1.5 inches, but I agree, you're right this fish would not be in a feeder section for sure.

So, I am stumped as well, if I ever have another idea or figure something out, I'll be sure to let you know.

Back
Top Bottom