Help with internal parasites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have two orange colored tetras and my angels don't bother them at all. If you get angels just get two small ones and when they get bigger they won't bother the tetras

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That depends on the personality of said fish and how well fed they are IMHO been there tried that. It's a hit and miss. Just get cardinals lol

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Would you use meds for this?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405006284.440290.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405006297.806446.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405006310.894996.jpg
Taken two days ago. No idea what it is pretty sure something bacterial is going on. Was laying on the side couldn't swim good. I was really thinking columnaris now I know it looks really bad but I can explain how it go here lol. Anyways salt at 1 per 5 gallon with 50% dailyImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405006696.084543.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405006514.024181.jpg changes vacuuming all in eaten food. And today
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405006514.024181.jpg

The first three were from before and the rest today

It's heart breaking! But I can see signs of improvement

I believe it is very difficult to keep an overstocked tank healthy. If you don't keep the aquarium balanced and stable nature will do it for you.

In my 47 bowfront I have
10 neons
8 harlequins
3 swordtails
1 angel
Red cherry shrimp

I haven't had any problems for nearly a year now. I keep lots of live plants too.

It isn't very difficult more time consuming and you have to be on top if things but its common practice with cichlid and I'm debating on doing it with my discus tank so aggression can't cause the same issues again. You just need to keep your filters clean and do more regular waterchanges to keep your nitrate down throughout the entire week.

Edit: and gravel vac!!!

To the OP: I've discovered the hard way that Velvet can be a common parasite and can have different symptoms in different fish. They could scratch/flash, become lethargic, lose color, develop a shiny gold sheen around their head, get white spots, or just suddenly die. I'm dealing with it in my tank at the moment. I like Paragard by Seachem. It's safe for shrimp and scaleless fish if you do a 1/2 or 2/3 dose and change the water every couple days.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

To the OP: I've discovered the hard way that Velvet can be a common parasite and can have different symptoms in different fish. They could scratch/flash, become lethargic, lose color, develop a shiny gold sheen around their head, get white spots, or just suddenly die. I'm dealing with it in my tank at the moment. I like Paragard by Seachem. It's safe for shrimp and scaleless fish if you do a 1/2 or 2/3 dose and change the water every couple days.

That's good to know. I looked into velvet, because my fish do appear kind of metallic/gold...hard to tell if they are just metallic in nature because many of them have gold flakes in their coloring. I've googled each species of fish for pictures and it looks natural to me. So I chalked it up to me being paranoid! Do you have any pics of your fish with velvet?

Also it depends on if I shine a light on the fish. Otherwise I see no gold sheen...an they aren't flashing, no clamped fins. Pretty much normal except those balas that just died, and the weight loss of my remaining bala and GBR....and gourami with the spot on it's dorsal fin, and color loss of the glass barbs (some of them, which I've read could also be due to sexual maturation of the females?)

Why not order a all in one treatement online? Its so easy nowadays, it takes 30 seconds to google it, in fact i think A combination of kanamycin, furan green, and Praprizole or metraniozle or something anti-worm is avaliable or you could order small quanties of all of them.

omg just say the pics, looks terrible. Be careful when dealing with the water, wash your hands good after touching it and the fish. you don't want to get TB or pusedomonas/aeromonas infection.

The only reason I don't medicate now is I don't know for sure what they have...my scaleless fish are sensitive to meds, let alone using three at once...I haven't gotten out my actual camera to take pics, but will knight after work to see more detail of what they may have...

That's good to know. I looked into velvet, because my fish do appear kind of metallic/gold...hard to tell if they are just metallic in nature because many of them have gold flakes in their coloring. I've googled each species of fish for pictures and it looks natural to me. So I chalked it up to me being paranoid! Do you have any pics of your fish with velvet?

Pics are hard for me. My LED light makes the camera's shutter very visible. But here's my Julii Cory that is looking like he might not make it through the night. It's a bad pic, you can't really see the gold, but you can see how it's kind of eating away at his side.

rU9JIbK.jpg

It's really tough to diagnose problems like this. I'll just repeat my suggestion of Seachem's Pargard product. I've found it to be a safe, effective, broad spectrum medication for parasites and bacteria. Just make sure to change your water as often as you can stand and keep dosing for at least a week after all symptoms are gone. That was my mistake. I stopped dosing because they started acting better and not flashing, but now it's back with a vengeance.

Pics are hard for me. My LED light makes the camera's shutter very visible. But here's my Julii Cory that is looking like he might not make it through the night. It's a bad pic, you can't really see the gold, but you can see how it's kind of eating away at his side.

rU9JIbK.jpg

It's really tough to diagnose problems like this. I'll just repeat my suggestion of Seachem's Pargard product. I've found it to be a safe, effective, broad spectrum medication for parasites and bacteria. Just make sure to change your water as often as you can stand and keep dosing for at least a week after all symptoms are gone. That was my mistake. I stopped dosing because they started acting better and not flashing, but now it's back with a vengeance.

Thanks I'll look into that. I hope your fish ends up doing ok!

Back
Top Bottom