Help with the dreaded Camallanus worm parasite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just think you need to decide which directions you are following and not mix them.
I personally trust Charles and Charles only on this issue.I don't much care what TFH has to say on this issue .
So what ever else info on camallanus there is I have zero concern for.I don't need to go farther then the best expert found IMO?
Not my fish, just thought this has hit a fork in the road and you went down both paths?
I would have chosen one.
The next day approach is good, you need to wait weeks for the eggs ejected from the fish to hatch and kill them so? The fish did eat early on in the infestation so while eating is good and necessary, not a sign of cure?
I would vacuum as much as possible to stop the fish from re ingestion the eggs that are in the dead worms ejected already ? Sounds like the ones still eating already ate some? Did TFH mention that?

Thanks looking good so far Texas has begun chasing food too. It's very possible he was the only infected but couldn't take a chance.

Started the Levamisole treatment today. Did a 70% water change, removed the carbon, added new water with some prime, adjusted the water temp from 78 to 75, closed the lights, added 6.5 grams of Levamisole HCL powder to 130 gallons of water and placed some large cardboards around the aquarium for 24 hours of darkness. Will remove it in 24 hours and continue everything as back to normal with another 70% water change in 3 days time. Will also add the carbon back.

Hopefully I'm doing this right. Will repeat the same process after 5 days and again after 3 weeks. Some people say 2 treatmemts others 3..

Found a really nice article here too: http://www.loaches.com/Members/shari2/levamisole-hydrochloride-1

I took out a cardboard to take a peak all looked normal. I think having returned the initial infected jewel after one day and a 98% water change the following day may have played a huge role. I'm just a little worried about the Texas as in the beginning he was a feisty eater, than did not eat for 2 weeks, niw he is eating but very weirdly..he will go get floating food from the surface but in a weird way as if he's sometimes thinking about it first and even more confusion/thinking with sinking food. I haven't seen him poo in 3 weeks even when his / her belly gets fatter. He's also had a 3mm whiteish thing coming out if the butt forever now but it may be a part of it's body. Looks like a white little triangle if anyone knows what that is let me know please. I should look at more juvenile green texas pictures maybe it's nothing.

But the fact that this texas came from an aquarium that was right under and to the right of the infected jewel cichlid aquarium at the pet shop and the fact that they told me the same water system was used in that section...and that he was placed in the same bag as the jewel cichlid at the store...and that it's behaving weird with food, although a bit better since the fenbendazole treatmemt, still tells me something is off.

Maybe he has a lot of young dead camallanus in him...hoping they come out now with the levamisole treatment...I did see something white n weird looking floating in the water though maybe just poop? Anyhow closed light and put back cardboard will wait another 12 hrs to look again.

39a2cd1ad28e4f119c1295b0b0e74a6b.jpg

After 24 hours fish look beat...most of them just hanging around on the bottom. None feel like eating, added some stability..no worms hanging from anyone.

Thanks that's good to know. So 48 hours passed, never saw any worms hanging out or anywhere. Maybe I was never infected since I caught it early. Most of my fish were pretty much paralyzed or just avoiding light. So I just did a 50% water change, added prime, trace, and some salt, fed them a bit...some started coming out, after 4 hours fed a bit again all are moving and acting much more normal now...

Back
Top Bottom