Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got a 29G tank and got it running with filter and stuff in it about 5 mins ago. I bought a starter kit. I also bought some zebra danios and 1 common Plecoptera. I got a 10G with 5 platies and 1 parrot cichlid . I have to wait at least a week to let it run but what do I do with new fish I got danios are aggressive and my 10g will to to crowded. I know my parrot cichlid and Plecoptera will need bigger than 29G near Christmas will get 120G.

If it's possible, take the fish back. You need to cycle the tanks. Please read about the fishless cycle. There's a sticky for it on the forums. Don't buy the pleco or parrot yet. Wait until you actually have the 120 and it's cycled too. Instead of a pleco, get a bristlenose pleco for the 30gal. They are similar but stay small. The danios are going to die with the parrot in there. They will get eaten fast. Again, please take the fish back asap.

Fishie said:
I just got a 29G tank and got it running with filter and stuff in it about 5 mins ago. I bought a starter kit. I also bought some zebra danios and 1 common Plecoptera. I got a 10G with 5 platies and 1 parrot cichlid . I have to wait at least a week to let it run but what do I do with new fish I got danios are aggressive and my 10g will to to crowded. I know my parrot cichlid and Plecoptera will need bigger than 29G near Christmas will get 120G.

Clam down. Someone will answer!

Is the 10g cycled? It's is very over stocked without the danios. Can you return them?

You can move the filter from the ten over to the 29 and run them side by side. Make sure the water is dehlorinated. Acclimatize all the fish new and old and add them to the tank. You will then have to do a fish in cycle.

You don't need to let it run for a week. That's what the petstore says when they have no clue of the cycling process. As long as the water is dechlorinated you are ok to add fish to the tank.

Why did you buy more fish if you believed you had no room for them?!

Mumma.of.two said:
You can move the filter from the ten over to the 29 and run them side by side. Make sure the water is dehlorinated. Acclimatize all the fish new and old and add them to the tank. You will then have to do a fish in cycle.

You don't need to let it run for a week. That's what the petstore says when they have no clue of the cycling process. As long as the water is dechlorinated you are ok to add fish to the tank.

Why did you buy more fish if you believed you had no room for them?!

Thanks!! I did that. I couldn't take them back because they closed at 6pm and that when I left the store. I didn't really think it over I just got the fish and admire them. Once I got home I realized I had no room.

Mumma.of.two said:
Clam down. Someone will answer!

Is the 10g cycled? It's is very over stocked without the danios. Can you return them?

10G was cycled and I get stressed easily. I hate when my fish die though.

bruinsbro1997 said:
What kind of pleco is it?

IMO you will have to rehome the zebra danios.

Common pleco. I know pleco will get big I said I'm getting bigger tank soon. Why do you think I should rehome them?

Fishie said:
Common pleco. I know pleco will get big I said I'm getting bigger tank soon. Why do you think I should rehome them?

Plecos don't just get big. They get huge! And you need huge tanks for them like a 125gal. You'd be better off trading him for a bristlenose. They will fit in a 29 nicely.

Mumma.of.two said:
Plecos don't just get big. They get huge! And you need huge tanks for them like a 125gal. You'd be better off trading him for a bristlenose. They will fit in a 29 nicely.

Where would I get bristlenose? Don't fish just grow into their environment? I like the albino bristlenoses

Fishie said:
Where would I get bristlenose? Don't fish just grow into their environment? I like the albino bristlenoses

You can get them at any well-stocked LFS.

That statement is completely wrong. It's called stunting a fish. Although they will stop growing if the tank is too big, then their internal organs will be squished together, and they will live a very painful life. I would highly suggest you don't do that.

Fishie said:

They get far too active for a 10 gallon IMO, 20 Gallon Longs are minimum tank size for them.

bruinsbro1997 said:
You can get them at any well-stocked LFS.

That statement is completely wrong. It's called stunting a fish. Although they will stop growing if the tank is too big, then their internal organs will be squished together, and they will live a very painful life. I would highly suggest you don't do that.

:O wow painful my brother has a tank and it is 20G has 2 common pleco. 3 tiger barbs and couple silver dollars. I feely bad for the guys. Had the pleco. For a while

If it's possible, take the fish back. You need to cycle the tanks. Please read about the fishless cycle. There's a sticky for it on the forums. Don't buy the pleco or parrot yet. Wait until you actually have the 120 and it's cycled too. Instead of a pleco, get a bristlenose pleco for the 30gal. They are similar but stay small. The danios are going to die with the parrot in there. They will get eaten fast. Again, please take the fish back asap.

I'm just starting and read about the fishless cycle...It's like trying to build an atom bomb....OR....instead of confusing yourself about a fishless cycle...Why not just ADD THE BACTERIA...YOU CAN BUY IT IN A BOTTLE!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom