high nitrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You need to get a new test kit. I also use API. I called their customer service and was told that if you don't do it correctly from the very first time you got the bottles, when you finally use it correctly the chemical that reacts to the nitrate will be way too high and give you a really high reading. You need to get a new test, and be sure to shake the 2nd bottle vigerously for at least 30 seconds, then shake the whole vial well for a minute.

no mate before when i tested it was reading 0. then when i did it properly and shook it it read 160+ so i did a 20% water change and it went down to 140 so i did another change and just about to test now

If it is mineral water you are adding minerals to the tank that you may not want. The thoughts behind using RO/DI is that the water is very close to pure. When you add the salt to it, you are adding only the things you want which gives you much better control.

craig_will2513 said:
iv just read about adding vodka to my system to reduce the nitrate anyone have any issues with this or know anything about it

The best way of doing the vodka dosing is to stand beside the aquarium,use a shot glass and keep dosing yourself until all looks great in you're aquarium and the world.LOL

Seriously you need more rock and better filtration ,along with PWC's your nitrates will start dropping.

The best way of doing the vodka dosing is to stand beside the aquarium,use a shot glass and keep dosing yourself until all looks great in you're aquarium and the world.LOL

Seriously you need more rock and better filtration ,along with PWC's your nitrates will start dropping.

Now that is my kind of dosing. :lol:

I really think you should try a new test kit and your nitrate is not as high as you think. I went through the nitrate problem and ended up calling API. They explained to me that if you use the bottles without shaking you are using the liquid without any of the active ingredient that gets stuck at the bottom of the bottle. Then when you finally do shake it like you're supposed to, the ratio of active to inactive has changed and you will be getting way too much of the chemical that reacts with the nitrate and give you false high readings. He said it happens all the time to their customers. You have to get a new one and shake it every time.

As a side note, I really did have high nitrates because of starting my tank with bad tap water. After several huge water changes it was still too high. I tried Instant Ocean Natural nitrate Reducer and it brought it down to zero after several weeks and stayed at zero without adding any more. Tons easier than all the water changes, of course I still change 10% every two weeks. The owner of a trusted LFS said this is using a theory similar to vodka dosing but safer. I know there are many purists on this site who advocate only natural things and water changes.

cheers ricksreef i like that a lot.. so iv decided to add my sump so i can get my skimmer going i will eventually add bafflers to it as at the min its just one whole 10g tank it only has my skimmer and return pump in at the min so it will be ok. the problem iam now having is that my return pump is to powerfull and its filling my main tank faster than my overflow drains it. anyone got any ideas on how id fix this. is there anyway of making the pump less powerfull. the overflow is rated at 1200lph and the pump is at 1000lph so someone has lied about one of them.

Just add a ball valve in line and dial it back some

got my valve on today and all seems good. thank you all so much for your help.. without you id have been screwed...
i have a small not so important problem. where the water is flowing into my overflow box and down the pipes its making a loud gurgling noise. anyway to silence this. also my skimmer is running now but the foam its making is clean why is this

It can take a skimmer about 2 weeks to "break in" not sure if yours has been running for that long. :)

Is your tank drilled or is it a hang on the back overflow?

so even though i have only 6lb live rock if i add more base rock this will do the same job as live rock

That is correct. The base rock will become live over time and be just as good. I dont know your feeding schedule but I would cut back to feeding every other day at the most. I`ve been feeding that way for years now. Your fish will be OK plus you`ll be putting less excessive nutrients in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom