Hikari vs. omega one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paytertot

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I know that NLS is the most highly recommended pellet/ flake food, but they don't carry it in any of the pet stores here. So my question is, which is better, omega one or hikari cichlid pellets. I've been feeding the hikari cichlid gold and I'm not sure if I should switch. As far as flake goes, I feed tetramin and idk if that's good or I should switch it to omega one.

Speaking honestly as a LFS employ,there's really no difference. Except maybe in price.

Those two are the only fish food brands I use. But I don't know what would be better. IMO, Omega One is healthier, just based off of the fact that the first ingredient on my Hikari wafers is 'fish meal' and the Omega One specifically lists type of fish in the ingredients. But I really don't think that you could go wrong either way.

Speaking honestly as a LFS employ,there's really no difference. Except maybe in price.

Then as a LFS employee you should spend more time researching products prior to making a statement like that, there are huge differences in the quality of ingredients, added nutrients, and harmful additives in different brands of food.

Last edited:
Well another thing is that hikari only has floating pellets and omega one has sinking which makes me want to switch because my angels and discus pick the food off of the bottom. I mean they eat the pellets off of the top but it's more difficult for them. So I think I'll switch to omega one.

What about the flake food? Is tetramin any good?

paytertot said:
Well another thing is that hikari only has floating pellets and omega one has sinking which makes me want to switch because my angels and discus pick the food off of the bottom. I mean they eat the pellets off of the top but it's more difficult for them. So I think I'll switch to omega one.

I have a sinking pellet made by hikari specifically designed for herbivorous cichlids? My angel loves it too

Then as a LFS employee you should spend more time researching products prior to making a statement like that, there are huge differences in the quality of ingredients, added nutrients, and harmful additives in different brands of food.

And if you really like falling for sales pitches and wasting money,then go right ahead.

And if you really like falling for sales pitches and wasting money,then go right ahead.

How is decifering the ingredient labels and having the basic common knowledge of nutrition/additives falling for sales pitch. I could care less if you feed your fish dog food but don't come on a public forum trying to tell people there is no difference between fish food besides price and marketing. I would hope someone with that much ignorance in their supposed field of work would know the basics of nutrition or if not have enough sense not to comment.

paytertot said:

A while back I did some research on the nutritional value of different fish foods and now I forgot all the specifics. I do remember reading nothing but good things on the Hikari brand but Omega pellets are good also.

IMO stay away from Tetramin, most of its ingredients are not really beneficial to the fish and I noticed an overall improvement in my water quality after I stopped using it. Go with Spirulina 20 flake food if you can find it, the second ingredient in it is spirulina algae which is high in protein and vitamins. Again if you can't find it go with Omega flakes and/or frozen brine shrimp and blood worms. I alternate feeding my fish spirulina, brine shrimp, and bloodworms.

If you don't want to fall for the "sales pitch" I understand.

I've always read the labels on my dog foods and know how to judge a good food. I have champion Whippets. One day when i still managed a petstore a customer asked me about fish food. So I educated myself and now read those labels.

Some foods have so much filler, they are high in Phosphates and will actually promote Algae.

Reading is truly fundamental !

I not only go by ingredients but also by results. Omega One has a better list of ingredients, but Hikari has a very good record, so I mix it up and use both.

Omega One has an algae flake I believe that has Spirulina as first ingredient.

Daxhua said:
A while back I did some research on the nutritional value of different fish foods and now I forgot all the specifics. I do remember reading nothing but good things on the Hikari brand but Omega pellets are good also.

IMO stay away from Tetramin, most of its ingredients are not really beneficial to the fish and I noticed an overall improvement in my water quality after I stopped using it. Go with Spirulina 20 flake food if you can find it, the second ingredient in it is spirulina algae which is high in protein and vitamins. Again if you can't find it go with Omega flakes and/or frozen brine shrimp and blood worms. I alternate feeding my fish spirulina, brine shrimp, and bloodworms.

If you don't want to fall for the "sales pitch" I understand.

That's a lot of great info, thanks very much! I do feed brine shrimp and bloodworms also. So I think my plan of action is to go for the omega one pellets, and the flake you suggested or omega one as well if I can't find it. One question though, will foods with algae in them aid in an algae problem in my tank? Because I already have that lol.

Coursair said:
I've always read the labels on my dog foods and know how to judge a good food. I have champion Whippets. One day when i still managed a petstore a customer asked me about fish food. So I educated myself and now read those labels.

Some foods have so much filler, they are high in Phosphates and will actually promote Algae.

I not only go by ingredients but also by results. Omega One has a better list of ingredients, but Hikari has a very good record, so I mix it up and use both.

Well, what of I bought the omega one and just mixed it in a baggie with the hikari gold I already have and feed them that? Or is that a stupid idea lol I'm prone to those

Hmm. That's a really good question. I don't know. I've feeding Spirulina 20 to my fish for at least two years now and I haven't had an algae problem. I've always had some algae in my tank even before I started feeding Spirulina 20 but it never got out of control. Right now I have a very hard time finding any algae in my tank thanks to my otos and BN pleco. I guess I'll be doing some research again into fish foods.

Daxhua said:
Hmm. That's a really good question. I don't know. I've feeding Spirulina 20 to my fish for at least two years now and I haven't had an algae problem. I've always had some algae in my tank even before I started feeding Spirulina 20 but it never got out of control. Right now I have a very hard time finding any algae in my tank thanks to my otos and BN pleco. I guess I'll be doing some research again into fish foods.

Haha well thanks. I have 2 bn plecos and I always see them attached to things looking like they're eating, but I don't really see missing algae. Lol. I'm dealing with the problem but I just don't want a consistent contributing factor like that ya know

Coursair said:

I think your right the veggie flakes by Omega One does have spirulina but it's not the first ingredient and I read Spirulina 20 has a higher percentage of spirulina in it. Although that may have changed since I last checked.

Back
Top Bottom