Hole in Gill of Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
she has a big hole on one side of her head, and another one forming on the other side. What is wrong? What do I do? I took her out of my tank as well as her friend, another female silver molly, and they are currently in a 1 gallon jar, looking VERY unhappy with their new living arrangements. And what do I do with the tank I just took them out of, that is filled with assorted fish? Help!!

You never mentioned your water current water parameters of the display tank, but that looks like a bactiera infection and would start with a medication like Fungus Clear by Jungle or Paraguard by Seachem and I would treat the entire tank personally since trying to keep them in a 1g tank is causing more stress.

yesterday I was getting a little bit of ammonia, so I did a 50% water change. I haven't checked, since. I'm using the master test kit. I have strips, too, but I don't use them. But testing the waster with the master test kit is time consuming. Can I use the strips once in awhile?

This is a 10G QT tank that is a bit overstocked, because my 29G sprung a leak. I am now waiting for my new 55 to cycle, and I think it's almost ready. Should I still start moving fish after it is cycling? Or should I try to treat this disease first? And keep them in the too small tank? I don't want to move a disease into my beautiful new tank, do I? And I was wanting to use API Melafix to treat. It's and antibacterial

I would leave them in the 10g for now and skip the Melafix, if you want you could also skip the meds for a 4-7 days and perform 50-60% daily water changes and monitor the holes for any improvment...if you see any issues with the holes increasing in size or any signs of healing then I would certainly treat the entire tank with a medication other than Melafix/Pimafix.

and we noticed the spot day before yesterday, and it has increased in size and now there is another hole forming on the other side.

Like I said my best advice is to try daily water changes or if it's advancing that quickly treat with meds, there is no in-between here.

ok. Thank you. I'll do something. I don't have any of those other meds you are talking about. I have aquarium salt. I have melafix and I have pimafix. thats it. and I won't be able to get to a fish store before Saturday...:(

I would start with daily water changes then add the Pima/Melafix in the mean time, some people swear by them but IME with some of the nastier disease's they're a waste of money.

Back
Top Bottom