Honey gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its nt just diatoms. The film that grows on the leaves is known as periphyton and includes many single-celled animals, algaes and high protein bacteria that is a rich food for many fish. Snails love it too :D

Its nt just diatoms. The film that grows on the leaves is known as periphyton and includes many single-celled animals, algaes and high protein bacteria that is a rich food for many fish. Snails love it too :D
Theres the informative answer i was after. Thanks pip

How come my other fish dont seem to do this though?

Lol

A lot of fish do peck at plant leaves to get the periphyton. Some are more adept at it than others because their mouths are adapted for scraping.... kissing gouramis mouths aren't just for snogging!

Fish such as ottocinclus and plecos also eat it... trouble is plecos can damage your plants in the process - ottos are great for 'cleaning' your plant leaves though.

in an established plant, the periphyton also lives on the glass - it is what we clean off when we do our maintenance. If you ever get the chance, scrape some off and look at it under a microscope.... little worms and all sorts of other things. My favourites are Vorticella ... check this out Vorticella Feeding - YouTube

Mine is everywhere lol he swims with my guppys zebra danio platy and killifish and it doesn't bug him

Interesting, mine also does that! Was wondering why and now I have my answer too haha :)

Ah, I see it is the golden variety of honey gourami - I sell quite a few of those.

I still prefer the normal colour of these fish. I don't much care for colour mutaions to be honest, especially some albino tetras! Albino rummy noses..... why?!

Ah, I see it is the golden variety of honey gourami - I sell quite a few of those. I still prefer the normal colour of these fish. I don't much care for colour mutaions to be honest, especially some albino tetras! Albino rummy noses..... why?!
Ah I didn't know this was not an original honey gourami. What does a proper one look like?

Back
Top Bottom