Hood and lights for 75 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scarby

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone, first post. I bought a 75 gallon off Craigslist, the tank is nice but the hood and light that came with it are not in the best shape. They will work for now but eventually I/wife will want something that looks nicer. The tank will be a community tank with low light requirement plants only. Open to all suggestions and ideas. Thanks!

If it were me, I would buy two Finnex Planted Plus fixtures and scrap the hood. Then I would top it off with a 1/4" screen mesh top to contain the fish.

It all depends on what you want to do, but 1 year ago I purchased this 75g tank and replaced the hood with two Aqueon Versa Tops and an Aqueon led light (outright+, I believe).
Just recently upgraded to a Finnex 24/7 planted+ because I wanted more light. This light is significantly brighter but I was able to grow low-light plants before and didn't have a lot invested.

Sent from my N9130 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1490822588106.jpg
    1490822588106.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 1,056
If you like plants, I highly suggest the Finnex planted+ 24/7. I believe it was about $ 135 online.

Thanks for the replies! I'm not looking to get high light or difficult plants. Just like the look of a natural tank with wood and plants. So I figured if we are going to replace the hood and light might as well get something that is a little better than what came with it.

24/7 is not high light on a 75g because of the tank height, but in shorter tanks some people have to turn it down.
Have had mine 3+ weeks and still no sign of algae, but for 24hr viewing it's awesome, allows me to see fish at all hours.
The Aqueon light I had before had a timer also but when it was off I couldn't see fish in my fish/man cave as well. I put it upstairs on my daughter's 55g guppy mansion where there's natural light. Aqueon cost $108 and Finnex 24/7 $135, we'll worth extra $ although I liked them both.

Does you tank have a center brace?

I had to make one for tank so I could use the versa tops, but I love it now.

When I had my 75 set up, I was going super cheap and bought a shop light for around 15$ at walmart. It worked ok for the lower plants (I actually had to unscrew one bulb it was so bright) but of you have the cash go led lol

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am going to do the Finnex 24/7 when I finish my build too. I would definitely get Aqueon glass tops. I have those on all my tanks. Keeps evaporation down, fish from jumping out, and keeps the water cleaner. No dust, aerosols, or oil from cooking settle in the tank. Plus I think it looks pretty good too. The Finnex LED is pretty good looking by its self too. It is not very intrusive.

Back
Top Bottom